The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Papazian's "Who's in the Garden" Hoegaarden Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
KingPellinore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Papazian's "Who's in the Garden" Hoegaarden Clone

I brewed the "Who's in the Garden" recipe out of Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing 21 days ago. After 7 days in the Primary, I racked it into the Secondary. Racking seems to have "kicked something into gear" in the fermentation, as I have seen bubbles in my airlock about every 20 seconds for the last 2 weeks.

For information purposes, here's the recipe:

5lb. Extra Light DME (I used Munton's)
2lb. Light Honey
1oz. Hallertauer (60 min.)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer (15 min.)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer (5 min.)
1-1/2 oz. Crushed Coriander (3/4 oz. 15 min, 3/4 oz. 5 min.)
1/2 oz. Dried Sweet Orange Peel (5 min.)
Belgian Wit (I used White Labs Belgian Wit)

It's been slowly, but steadily fermenting much longer than any of my other brews. This is the 6th brew and it's the only that's taken this long to complete fermentation.

The only thing I can think of that might be slowing the brew down is the honey. Since it's a different type of sugar than maltose, is it fermenting more slowly, or is there another factor I'm not considering?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
FullDraw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd say the honey too. I added some a batch back, and it did take a bit longer.
Sounds like it's worth the wait.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Am I missing something here or isn't there supposed to be some wheat in this beer?

I just bottled up a belgian wit using that same yeast several days ago, and it was funky. It was the first time I thought my beer had gone bad in the fermentor, but Friday I went to a local brewpub and had their wit, and I could taste the same yeast flavor, but it was very pleasant.....point being, you're going to want to let it sit for a few weeks anyway to get the cleanest flavor from that yeast (I feel that I bottled mine too early at 2 weeks, even with no activity for days) so you may as well let things run their course....

Old 02-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
antsp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on the honey. It always seems to take longer to ferment out when I add honey to a brew.

Ant

Old 02-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
KingPellinore
Recipes 

Thanks for the heads up, snailsongs. Once there's no more airlock activity, I'll probably rack it again to make sure it's as clean as possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply