Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Papazian vs. Palmer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Zixxer10R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Papazian vs. Palmer

Which is more highly regarded on this forum? Getting a book, probably kindle version for portability...wanna know which one is more highly regarded here. Adding the Basic Brewing DVDs as well. What say ya'll?

Quick search yielded no viable results, before you tirade.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
jsweet
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Dunno about who's more highly regarded on the forum, but if you've never brewed before, Papazian all the way. Palmer's info may be better, but... I read the Papazian book, had a 1st batch in bottles and a 2nd in primary, then read the Palmer book and flipped out for a day or two about everything I wish I'd done differently Reading the Palmer book, it is too easy to let "the perfect become the enemy of the good." Papazian will make you feel confident and ready to brew -- even if you aren't really ready, but at some point you have to just jump in and do it, right?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Palmer's book will be of more use to you in the long run and will still hold your hand in the beginning. I do own both.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
spagyric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've seen more people recommend Palmer on this forum and I definitely found How To Brew to be more straightforward. I read both when I started reading about brewing and thought The Complete Joy of Home Brewing was a fun read and worth the time, but as far as brewing instruction goes, How To Brew delivers the information more clearly and concisely IMO.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
jsweet
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagyric View Post
but as far as brewing instruction goes, How To Brew delivers the information more clearly and concisely IMO.
I agree with this, despite recommending Papazian above.

I guess if you could read the Palmer book and keep telling yourself, "Even if I screw up 75% of this stuff, I'll still have a drinkable beer," that would be the way to go. Like I say, just don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The clarity and comprehensiveness of the Palmer book can be intimidating, since it's a near certainty you won't get everything right on the first try.

Palmer's book is like this: "It is important that you do X, and here are the specific reasons why, including some of the science behind it."

Papazian's book is like this: "Try to do X if you can, but if not... RDWHAHB."

Old 05-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Hoosier-Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have read Palmer's book, thought it was good and easy to follow and understand. I'm now reading Papazian's.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
subwyking
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have both now, but started with the online version of Palmer's. I then purchased the physical copy. I still refer back to it every now and again. Bottom line, you won't go wrong with either.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They are probably equally highly regarded here. I own both books. How to Brew (by Palmer) is actually available online (online version) if you wish to give it a peruse.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
LeeIII
Recipes 

If it's a matter of what to buy vs. not buy, buy Papazian, and read the older version of Palmer's How to Brew @ http://howtobrew.com/intro.html . Then if you like what you see there, maybe buy the latest edition of How to Brew later.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
They are probably equally highly regarded here. I own both books. How to Brew (by Palmer) is actually available online (online version) if you wish to give it a peruse.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
I actually gave that one a good read. That's actually the reason i posted the topic. I'm not crazy about Palmer's writing style at the moment. I'm also hungry. And not drinking. Could be anything at this rate.

Quick Reply