Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pancake layer in bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
Fletcher21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Default Pancake layer in bottles

Hey is there any way to avoid getting the pancake layer when conditioning in bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Not that I know of. But, there is a way of not worrying about it.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 04-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can filter it out, but you'll also filter out the yeast needed for bottle conditioning.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 04-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
CABeerMaker
Recipes 

Really depends on how thick the layer is. A thin little line of yeast at the bottom is normal, however a really thick layer may represent that you are stirring up your cake from the bottom of your fermentor. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Hard to say if you really have a problem without actually seeing it.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABeerMaker View Post
Really depends on how thick the layer is. A thin little line of yeast at the bottom is normal, however a really thick layer may represent that you are stirring up your cake from the bottom of your fermentor. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Hard to say if you really have a problem without actually seeing it.
Are there any real problems that can result from this other than not being able to pour as much out of each bottle?

Old 04-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry View Post
Are there any real problems that can result from this other than not being able to pour as much out of each bottle?
The larger the cake and the longer you leave it in bottle, the greater chance you'll pick up yeasty flavours from it. Most people don't worry about it as the beer will be drank long before that would happen though.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 04-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Its high in B vitamins. Pour the beer in a glass, chug the yeast from the bottle and tell SWMBO you are taking your vitamins.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Fletcher21
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

It's not that big of a layer and I usually pour it into a glass anyways but I just thought I would put the question out there. I have done a few batches already and it doesn't bother me but just checking if there was a trick I might be missing.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
scotchguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am new at this, but I have drank a good bit of beer and I work at a wine store (we sell beer and more too!). Beers along the lines of Duvel that have been bottle conditioned look as if they have a caked layer of yeast that has been sitting there a good while. Even though the beer is bottle conditioned, the clarity is absolute. I am guessing they bottle condition for about a year or so before the beer goes to the shelf. I do not think I am that patient for that long of a wait, but I have noticed the further I go from the bottling date, the better the beer has tasted.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
The larger the cake and the longer you leave it in bottle, the greater chance you'll pick up yeasty flavours from it. Most people don't worry about it as the beer will be drank long before that would happen though.
This is bs....actually the longer you leave it in the bottle, the tighter the yeast cake will compress. And yeasty flavors? That's not true either. I've had beers sit for years and not had yeasty flavors. Are you just repeating something you've "heard?"

The longer you chill the beer in the fridge, the tighter the yeast cake. I had a beer in the back of my fridge for 3 months, that I could completely upend and no yeast came out. Longer in the cold the tighter the yeast cake becomes. Even just chilling for a week (besides getting rid of chill haze) will go to great lengths to allow you to leave the yeast behind, but with only a minimum amount of beer.

Now Fletcher21, If you are bottle conditioning your living beer, you can't avoid it. It's a natural part of the process.

Read this, and learn to love the yeast. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/anyone-using-filter-bottling-123758/#post1379528

Although you can't totally eliminate it, I talk about how you can limit it, here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/appearance-question-too-much-trub-solids-223539/#post2621825

I get very little sediment in my bottles, but even if I do, who cares? It's a part of living beers, including a heck of a lot of my favorite commercial beers. And despite booboos comment, I've never had a "yeasty" taste in beers that weren't meant to have them, even bottle conditioned commercial beers that have cellared for years. The only way you'd get a yeasty taste would be if you shook the beer before pouring it, and even if you did, if the yeast cake is tight it won't shake up that much anyway.

Read what I linked, maybe you'll hate the "dreaded" yeast pancake a lot less.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply