Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pale Chocolate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Pale Chocolate

SWMBO had found me an extract brown ale recipe from online way back many moons ago. It was one of the best beers I've made so far. In it was (my page got wet where the volumes/amounts are) what looks like 12 oz of pale chocolate. The LHBS doesn't carry pale chocolate and they don't know what they gave me. It also had what looks like 10 oz crystal 60 and 6 oz crystal 120, and I added a little light brown sugar.

I've used pale chocolate in another attempt, but it turned out roasty and more porter like. All of them have.

How much pale (or dark for that matter) chocolate can you use and get a nice chocolatey taste without it becoming roasty?

I'm planning on using baker's chocolate in another attempt, and was told to use 3-4 oz for 5 gals. I don't trust this guy's advice as he's given me bad advice before. Does that sound good?

I intend on adding some pale chocolate to it as well as I'll be buying a pound of it milled for my mild brown ale that calls for 1/4 lb. How much would I want to add to it that won't bring out a roasty taste?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Remember that "chocolate malt" doesn't taste like chocolate. It's more about the color than the flavor- chocolate malt is roasty flavored.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I use 6 oz of Pale chocolate in my 5.5 gallons of brown ale for color and use Crystal 20, 40 and 60 in equal parts to give it a nice sweet/malty body.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
rodwha
Recipes 

What would have likely been given to me as a substitute for pale chocolate (steeped grain) that would have brought out such a nice chocolatey taste?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Tigerpunch
Recipes 

For a nice chocolatey taste, you can use either bakers chocolate in the last 25% of your brewing wort or you can go with about 4oz of cocoa nibs in your secondary for about 2 weeks. using both will give you more chocolate flavor, but if it a hint your after, one or the other should suffice.

Good Luck

Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I personally get an **impression** of chocolate from chocolate malt with some medium crystal; I get some aroma and flavor aspects that are "in-line" with cocoa. Granted, it's not a concrete aroma/flavor like you'd get from using some form of real chocolate but I do get an "impression" from them. An example I'm thinking is Orfy's Mild Mannered ale which has a little chocolate malt with some medium crystal. The kind of impression I would describe is something like the smell of semi-sweet chocolate, and flavor of semi-sweet or bittersweet. Of course, it may all be in my head

Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
rodwha
Recipes 

"...you can use either bakers chocolate in the last 25% of your brewing wort..."

Do you mean to add baker's chocolate in the last 15 mins?
How much baker's chocolate should I use? Say a 5.8 gal batch.
I want more than a hint of chocolate. That kinda describes how that brown ale was, and so maybe it had something to do with the crystal 60 along with whatever was substituted.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Tigerpunch
Recipes 

If you are boiling your wort for 1 hour, then yes, put the chocolate in at the last 15 min of the boil. As for the bakers Chocolate, I just use 4 oz. of hersheys unsweetened bakers chocolate powder. if you are using bakers chocolate bricks..well I am unsure of the conversion from brick to powder. If I go with brick form, I just use a whole Lindt 85% Cocoa Chocolate Bar in the last 15 min of the boil. If you go this route, you have to stay with the wort for the remaining 15 min and keep a good stir on it as the chocolate will settle to the bottom and potentially burn. Keep it stirred and you should be fairly pleased with the chocolate infusion you get from this.

Good Luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
rodwha
Recipes 

Awesome. Thanks!

Quick Reply