New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pale ale - Taste & Smell after 2 weeks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
olord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pale ale - Taste & Smell after 2 weeks.

Hi,

I have some Baron's Pale Ale kit fermenting in a 23L carboy thats been sitting there for about 2 weeks now. At the very beginning, the fermentation was very intense and is now stable. However, the smell coming from the carboy is very acidic, almost sanitizer-like. The hydro reads are also lower than indicated by the chart, and when I taste it after the read. I suspect an unwanted concentration of ether now...

I know that I should step back 'cause the yeast know what they're doing, but I just wanted your general opinion on that, based on your experiences.

thanks!

-Oli

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Slainte-brew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

maybe a big whiff of CO2. was the temperature high for ferment, could be fusel alcohols. give it a taste.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
agcorry00
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You are never wrong to give it another week and taste it then. At what temperature is it fermenting? (still a n00b, but this seems to be the collective wisdom.)

"We don't sell Duff, we sell Fudd."

Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
olord
Recipes 

Since I'm brewing in my apartment, the carboy is staying in a closet that is slightly cooler than the rest of the flat, so it's usually between 23-25 deg. celsius (72-78 deg F.) I also suspect that it is because of the hight temp...However my batch of wheat beer fermented fine at the same temp. and tastes great now.

so do you think there are chances of this ''taste & smell'' to fade out in another week?

-Oli

Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
agcorry00
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it is a harsh, solvent-like taste it is due to fusel alcohols, which generally do not go away. That said, other favors can go away as you give the yeast more time to clean up their byproducts. Also, how much lower is the actual gravity from the calculated gravity? If it is just a little it's probably nothing to worry about. Also, how close was your OG?

"We don't sell Duff, we sell Fudd."

Old 08-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
olord
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agcorry00 View Post
If it is a harsh, solvent-like taste it is due to fusel alcohols, which generally do not go away. That said, other favors can go away as you give the yeast more time to clean up their byproducts. Also, how much lower is the actual gravity from the calculated gravity? If it is just a little it's probably nothing to worry about. Also, how close was your OG?
OG was right on, about 1.050, and now it is already at 1.012 and recommended is about 1.015. I think it's not too bad and just wait and see.

thanks for your answers, i'll post the results later.

-Oli

Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Wirk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by olord View Post
Since I'm brewing in my apartment, the carboy is staying in a closet that is slightly cooler than the rest of the flat, so it's usually between 23-25 deg. celsius (72-78 deg F.) I also suspect that it is because of the hight temp...However my batch of wheat beer fermented fine at the same temp. and tastes great now.

so do you think there are chances of this ''taste & smell'' to fade out in another week?
23-25 degrees is a lot for room temperature, have in mind that fermentation is an exothermic process, if your room temperature is 24 then you are probably fermenting at 26-27 degrees.

Also what do you mean by very begging? how much time since fermentation started? what yeast did you use(some beers fermented with some specific types of yeast can be almost undrinkable if fermented at high temperature)?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
gce
Recipes 

Time will general tell in situations like this. Give it a few more weeks and give it a taste.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Did you use the same yeast for both batches? If not, different yeast strains have different temp ranges, what yeast is the current one? May have needed a much lower temperature than your previous batch and certainly could have led to fusels.

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 08-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
olord
Recipes 

I cannot say what yeast were used, it was part of the kit. But I will tell you this: from now on I will brew full grain with selected yeast, and ferment in a basement. I will just hope that this batch will be OK, and hope for the best.

-Oli

Quick Reply