The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oxygenation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
falconnuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oxygenation question

This may seem a bit random, but I'm a little confused about the biological reason for oxygenation/aeration. Fermentation, being an anaerobic process, seemingly would benefit from minimization of the oxygen content of the fluid. Is it in order to minimize the stress on the yeast, leading possibly to greater yeast activity (and thus more fermentation)/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Yeast can reproduce either aerobically or anerobically. We introduce oxygen at the beginning to increase yeast cell count and start contributing to the flavor profile. Once the O2 is depleted, they go nuts on the maltose & other sugars.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Fermentation may be anerobic, but Yeast reproduction requires oxygen. You give them a good dose of O2 at the start so they can build up a good cell count in your wort to do an good job when they go to their anaerobic stage and start munching up the sugars. That's what happens in the lag time between pitching and the start of fermentation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Fermentation may be anerobic, but Yeast reproduction requires oxygen. You give them a good dose of O2 at the start so they can build up a good cell count in your wort to do an good job when they go to their anaerobic stage and start munching up the sugars. That's what happens in the lag time between pitching and the start of fermentation.
^this. you don't wanna taste beer that was fermented by yeast that reproduced in an anaerobic environment.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply