New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > on oxygenating wort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2598 Times on 2045 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Default on oxygenating wort

So I have been involved in many brews, but have just started doing myself. However, the more I am reading on this site I am realizing my "brew mentor" didn't know what the H he was doing and thus I am having to relearn everything I thought I knew. (We made a 1.13 barleywine, pitched I vial of yeast at 90 degrees and scratched our heads when it only made 1.045 and tasted like pancake syrup. You get the idea)
But I digress, here's my question. When we drained the brew kettle, he was always very adamant that we run the wort down the side of the carboy "to avoid contamintation". Then we'd stick the airlock in, and we (usually me since I was the brew slave) would shake the heck out of the think for about three minutes. This doesn't make sense. I am a machinist, so I make a device out of a stainless shaft with silicon fins that will fit inside the carboy, I will hook it up to a power drill, and froth the wort till I think it is adequately oxygenated. Can anyone see anything wrong with this? Please give me your feedback

Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Malintent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is what many people do. you can by a stainless or a plastic mixing attachment for a standard drill chuck for just a few dollars.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They sell those already. What you might want to consider though, especially if you are going to continue doing high gravity brews like that, is should you get an all oxygen set up. William's brewing has one that I just bought. All oxygen is definitely the way to go.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
bellyboy2
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just purchased the Williams setup and got the small disposable oxygen tank from Lowes that it is setup to use (usually used for oxygen torch). After reading the label on the oxygen tank I am a little hesitant. It states that the contents of package and combustion products are found to be carcinogenic and can cause birth defects per CA regulations blah blah. Anybody know what's up with this?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneoco1981 View Post
They sell those already. What you might want to consider though, especially if you are going to continue doing high gravity brews like that, is should you get an all oxygen set up. William's brewing has one that I just bought. All oxygen is definitely the way to go.
Yes I was trying to look up oxygen equipment, but in getting set up for brewing I quickly met and went beyond my $500 budget and I basically had to choose between a stir plate and something like what your talking about. Ill google williams brewing. Does it honestly make that much difference? Is there a particular model that's recommended?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyboy2 View Post
I just purchased the Williams setup and got the small disposable oxygen tank from Lowes that it is setup to use (usually used for oxygen torch). After reading the label on the oxygen tank I am a little hesitant. It states that the contents of package and combustion products are found to be carcinogenic and can cause birth defects per CA regulations blah blah. Anybody know what's up with this?
Yes. The litigation happy state of CA puts that label on everything from cigarettes to garden hoses to tanks of pure O2.

Its almost as silly as their gun laws.

As for the williams brewing oxygen system, you want the one with a regulator and 22" stainless steel airstone/wand. Its like $50 and worth every penny.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

+1 to californias gun laws suck. Why is everything I want to shoot illegal here? Ok ok im at brewtalk not guntalk.... (deep breathing) wow I had no idea oxygenating equipment was so affordable. Ill definitely get that for next time. Thanks

Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i just use a bubble stick with a coarse stone. use a hose with a filter and a fish bubbler. works great

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 05-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #9
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhunter99
i just use a bubble stick with a coarse stone. use a hose with a filter and a fish bubbler. works great
No cleanliness issues with the aquarium equipment? I had thought about that but wasn't sure on this issue. It seems like it would be harder to sanitize but its probably a psychological thing. I know NB sells one that is basically an aquarium pump with a HEPA filter...

Old 05-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #10
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
As for the williams brewing oxygen system, you want the one with a regulator and 22" stainless steel airstone/wand. Its like $50 and worth every penny.
I just cap my fermenter and rock it back and forth and get a good froth in less than a minute. Do it a couple of times, and it's good. Never had a problem with a beer finishing.

I know it's against the popular thought, but I think an oxygen set-up would be more complicated, add contamination risk, and not be worth more than a couple of dollars.

Quick Reply