The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is this the oxyclean people are using in place of PBW?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer135 View Post
Remind me again what the mixing amount is per gallon of water???
It varies depending on how heavy a soak I need to do but generally I do a scoop for 5 gal and the scoop that comes with it is marked so it is easy to downsize it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
I was wondering the same thing at the store last time. Didn't think using laundry soap made sense but I guess it works.
It is more an oxidizer than a soap which is why it works so well for what we need it to do. I've taken to doing oxi soaks on all kinds of stuff since I started using it for brewing, lol.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Its $5 for the 3 pounder at Big Lots!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle1 View Post
Don't use it on any metals though......
Chlorine free, shouldn't pit metal. I use it on my kegs and kettles with no issues. I don't store it in them just in case.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
Chlorine free, shouldn't pit metal. I use it on my kegs and kettles with no issues. I don't store it in them just in case.
I use the Wally World Sun Oxygen stuff in my corny kegs, too. But that's okay because they're stainless.

I don't use it in my kettles for two reasons:

(1) It's aluminum. I haven't tested it yet but I've heard on here many-a-time that it will pit aluminum.

(2) It's really not necessary. Rinse and a wipe with a rag and it's good to go. Since you're going to be boiling for 60+ minutes it doesn't have to be spotless and I also feel they are like cast-iron skillets (which you don't use soap on) where you get more flavor the more you use them. Just my $0.02

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
IXVolt

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

That's what I use.

Haven't had a single infection in 6 years now. *knock on wood*

Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I use the Dollar Store version - Sun Oxygen Cleaner (might be the same as some others are buying at WalMart). It costs $3.50 for 3-1/2 pounds at Dollar Store.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
I use the Wally World Sun Oxygen stuff in my corny kegs, too. But that's okay because they're stainless.

I don't use it in my kettles for two reasons:

(1) It's aluminum. I haven't tested it yet but I've heard on here many-a-time that it will pit aluminum.

(2) It's really not necessary. Rinse and a wipe with a rag and it's good to go. Since you're going to be boiling for 60+ minutes it doesn't have to be spotless and I also feel they are like cast-iron skillets (which you don't use soap on) where you get more flavor the more you use them. Just my $0.02
Yeah it'll oxidize the hell out of aluminum. Safe for a swish, scrub then rinse but I wouldn't even do that unless you really need it.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

Direct from Oxycleans Faq:
http://www.oxiclean.com/FAQ.aspx

Is OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover sensible for the environment?
More than 95% of the ingredients are minerals, or break down into minerals and components that are readily found in our natural environment. OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover breaks down into oxygen and soda ash when mixed with ordinary water and uses the tremendous cleaning power of oxygen to remove stains. There are no toxic fumes. Like all cleaning products, it is not to be ingested.

How long will OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover continue working after I mix it with water?
The cleaning strength of OxiClean® will remain active for 6 hours after mixing. Dispose of unused solution after 6 hours by pouring into a drain or toilet.

Summary:
It is an oxidizer that goes inactive once the oxygen precipitates (about 6 hours).
All that is left over is soda ash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate) that is not much different than common Baking soda.
Safe to use on SS and plastics.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
boomer135
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks everyone! I've already tried it out on my Coffee pot! Worked like a champ!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

FWIW, that's exactly what I use. But I might consider going to the Sun stuff people here mentioned to save a few $$. Works great on cleaning out carboys. Just use super hot water, add a scoop and let it sit for 15min or so. The carboy brush will usually knock anything that's stuck in there off after that. Then I usually drain the water into the next carboy to be cleaned.

I'd advise to not let it sit overnight though. I did that once and it left a chalky film inside my carboy. Fortunately a quick vinegar soak got rid of that at least.

Quick Reply