The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OXICLEAN leaves a white film on bottles...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
ek1050
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default OXICLEAN leaves a white film on bottles...

Any problems here? I can't get it off. I'm sure vinegar would work, but is it even necessary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It's a pretty common reaction to oxyclean and the minerals in some folks water. It's so common we even have a name for it on here, "scale." The best way to get rid of it is with, a weak acid such as vinegar, lemon juice or the most common, Starsan.

When I am processing bottles I fill the left side of my sink with some starsan and water and after giving them a thorough rinse with my jet bottle washer to rinse off the oxyclean, I dunk them in for a couple minutes. But note, I do NOT count that as a bottle sanitizing step (I don't even know if the starsn loses it's efficacy dissolving the oxy-scale) and still sanitize on bottling day.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It's a pretty common reaction to oxyclean and the minerals in some folks water. It's so common we even have a name for it on here, "scale." The best way to get rid of it is with, a weak acid such as vinegar, lemon juice or the most common, Starsan.

When I am processing bottles I fill the left side of my sink with some starsan and water and after giving them a thorough rinse with my jet bottle washer to rinse off the oxyclean, I dunk them in for a couple minutes. But note, I do NOT count that as a bottle sanitizing step (I don't even know if the starsn loses it's efficacy dissolving the oxy-scale) and still sanitize on bottling day.
+1.... I fill two buckets, one with oxi water and the other with starsan. soak em in oxi and clean em up then into the starsan for a while to get rid of the scale. works like a charm.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Does this Oxiclean scale only happen with a longer soak? My current method of cleaning bottles is to only soak long enough to peal the labels off then wipe off the glue. I typically only have the bottles in the oxi water for 20-30 minutes then rinse right away and put on the bottle tree.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan3825 View Post
Does this Oxiclean scale only happen with a longer soak? My current method of cleaning bottles is to only soak long enough to peal the labels off then wipe off the glue. I typically only have the bottles in the oxi water for 20-30 minutes then rinse right away and put on the bottle tree.
no idea. I have water that is so hard it hurts to take a shower ( not too far from true lol) so that may be my issue.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My water is pretty hard as well. I hope we didn't get a white film on our bottles. I didn't look last time we bottled. The other guy sanitized them. I didn't notice anything when I filled them but I wasn't really looking. Oh well. It's bottled now. I will have to check better next time.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
beersydoesit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use one wash with Oxyclean and a second with dilute vinegar. The result is a pleasingly clean and non-slippery bottle. Of course I sanitize on bottling day.

Dave in Madison

Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

An interesting twist on this: I received from my pub/supplier two cases of Chang bottles (http://www.changbeer.com/) and although I've not had this problem with any other bottles, most of the Chang bottles ended up with a powdery residue around the neck which would not rinse off. So, I did the vinegar soak suggested above and it worked great.

The Chang bottles are a little different - no shoulders at all and they are noticeably heavier than regular 12 ounce bottles. Perhaps the glass is different and something in the glass reacts with the oxiclean?

Also, completely off-topic, but Chang sponsors the Everton soccer club in England, and this pub is a soccer bar, so when an Everton game is on, they sell a lot of Chang. I met the woman who sells Chang to the pub and she said this bar is her biggest customer for Chang in the midwest. And she also represents a number of single malt scotch producers. In addition to selling beer and fine scotch, she's pretty, witty and charming. Hmmmm . . . . .

Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Also, completely off-topic, but Chang sponsors the Everton soccer club in England, and this pub is a soccer bar, so when an Everton game is on, they sell a lot of Chang. I met the woman who sells Chang to the pub and she said this bar is her biggest customer for Chang in the midwest. And she also represents a number of single malt scotch producers. In addition to selling beer and fine scotch, she's pretty, witty and charming. Hmmmm . . . . .
No, no, Pappers, I don't think this is off-topic at all!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
No, no, Pappers, I don't think this is off-topic at all!
Yeah, I can only assume she's crazy. Or else there is no justice in the universe.

Quick Reply