Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OxiClean & Cleaning Bottles/Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
SkyHighBrew88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default OxiClean & Cleaning Bottles/Equipment

Seems like I'm probably using too much OxiClean. I soaked some Sam Adams bottles in it that I drank last night to add to my bottle collection and they came out with a white film all over them. I wanted to get all the old beer smells, residue, and labels off easily (that worked very well).

Anyways, as far as small tubes are concerned (bottling wands, racking wands, clear hoses), they're really difficult to ensure cleanliness without being able to scrub the insides so I've been soaking them in OxiClean for a period of time and then rinsing and letting them air dry. What this is doing is leaving a white film all over the bottles and in some spots on the plastics.

What's the best way to do this? What do you use? Is the white film a concern for later batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

use hot water. Soak in hot water + oxyclean. Rinse with hot water. Hot water dissolves the oxyclean much better. Make sure you rinse every thing very well. You don't want oxyclean in your beer. You can usually tell it's rinse properly when the slippery feeling goes away.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

soak with oxyclean or its knock-offs and follow up with a mild acid rinse. I use vinegar. I've heard others use StarSan with good result.

I just soaked 6 cs of bottles in oxyclean to remove their labels. It left a white residue on all the bottles, but the residue was removed with a simple vinegar rinse.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
worth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am very much a Noob and was having similar concerns. I blasted the insides with hot water out of my bottle washer before sanitizing, and then drank some water out of them. I didn't taste any chemical in the water, is that a good enough test, or should I be doing something else.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I am very much a Noob and was having similar concerns. I blasted the insides with hot water out of my bottle washer before sanitizing, and then drank some water out of them. I didn't taste any chemical in the water, is that a good enough test, or should I be doing something else.
That should do it. Maybe some of these other people are having problems with hard water leaving spots when it dries.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
SkyHighBrew88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help! Definitely don't want Oxiclean in my beer ! I'm just trying to keep everything clean for the next time I use it. I think I'll probably try the vinegar rinse, follow up with some hot water, and sanitize em when they're needed.

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
ronaldo_fanbelt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im using the oxyclean hot water soak to take off labels and such it works very well. I scrub them down with hot water then run them through my dishwasher, seems to work well.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
danculwell
Recipes 

What ratio of vinegar to water do you use when you rinse the bottles?

6.5 Gal bucket Guiness Clone
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking:Mr Beer Wheat, Apfelwein, Graff, Grape, Lemonade, Raspberry, and Cherry Apfelwein, AHS Noble Pils (Ale)
On Deck:Who knows anymore

Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It takes very little. I don't exactly measure (see dump from the jug) but I'd imagine 1/2 c in 4 gallon water

Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
atromic
Recipes 

The film must come from using way too much OC, or from something in your water. I use a 1/4 scoop in a 5 gallon bucket and it never takes more than a quick hot water rinse.

Pear Wine, Apfelwein, White Grape + Peach Wine

Bottle'd :
Ed's Robust Porter, This is my Haus Ale, Gone in 60 Seconds IPA, Hooked on ESB, Apfelwein

Quick Reply