Overly-roasted taste in stout braggot recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
Recipe;
4.5-4.75 gallons
6# Dark DME
.5# Roasted Barley (60 mins@ 160F)
.5# Chocolate (60 mins @ 160)
.5# 60L (60 mins @ 160)
1.5oz Magnum (12AA) hops (60 mins @ 160)
Irish Ale yeast (was slow, as I left it at RT for some time not in the smack packs)
Yeast nutrient + energizer (About 2 tsp of each at OG, 2/3 OG and 1/3 OG)
Honey (dutch gold "organic" wildflower from brazil) added to a OG of >1.085

So... I took a sip after 6 days, just to see where it was headed (SG = 1.025, primary mostly finished).

WOW is it "roasted". Its like eating honey-covered roasted barley, which I hope you can imagine isn't that pleasant. There is a bit of sour, but I'm thinking that is just because of the fast ferment and young age of it (crossing fingers).

Anyone believe the ROASTED of the roasted barley will settle out? Don't get me wrong, I put the roasted barley in for a reason, but wow. not like this!

Perhaps it is just the sediment from the barley, and a number of whirflocs will be a great fix.

Thoughts?

Hey IJC, saw your post here and in the mead forum. I'm no expert but thought I could throw my thoughts out there...

The "sour" taste - what kind of temps have you been fermenting at? 6 days in is no clear indication of what the braggot will taste like but temp could be a factor. RDWHAHB

I would also think that the honey sugars might be more readily fermentable (we know that it can definitely finish drier) so my thought again is that it may be too soon to make a verdict because some of the more complex sugars in the barley could be very present still.

If nothing else, in two months you could back sweet it with a little honey but you may be just fine giving it time.

I think it's too soon to tell, imho RDWHAHB

You really won't know what that brew is really going to taste like until it has been conditioning in the bottles about 4-6 MONTHS. Let it finish, prime, bottle, box them up and leave them alone until August.

In the interim, brew something that isn't so high gravity or takes so long to mature.

You really won't know what that brew is really going to taste like until it has been conditioning in the bottles about 4-6 MONTHS. Let it finish, prime, bottle, box them up and leave them alone until August.

In the interim, brew something that isn't so high gravity or takes so long to mature.

YEP to that!!

Currently drinking a 7% mocha stout brewed just before X-Mas ; drank about half of them, and plan to put rest away to age. Your last always tastes best with this particular style. I don't think you added too much roasted barley. I use one pound in my 6.5 gallon batches. I am curious about what, if any, roasted malts were used in making the Dark DME you used. I make my higher gravity stouts with light DME and then get the color/flavor of the specialty malts in my mash.

YEP to that!!

Currently drinking a 7% mocha stout brewed just before X-Mas ; drank about half of them, and plan to put rest away to age. Your last always tastes best with this particular style. I don't think you added too much roasted barley. I use one pound in my 6.5 gallon batches. I am curious about what, if any, roasted malts were used in making the Dark DME you used. I make my higher gravity stouts with light DME and then get the color/flavor of the specialty malts in my mash.

+1 on going with light on the DME/LME and getting letting the roasted or other specialty malts do their thing.

Back