The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Overflowing Carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
BrewgrassPickins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Overflowing Carboy

Hi all. I've been checking out the website for a while now and finally decided to join. I just racked my brewers best IPA to the carboy. I did a little research on adding Pineapple and thought I had it right. I ran 4 pineapples through the juicer, boiled it, cooled it and added it to the carboy after the wort was already in. Everything seemed great until 15 min or so later i noticed foam flowing out of the airlock. I pulled the airlock out and set it in the shower and it's been overflowing for about an hour now. I assume the sugar from the pineapple is creating carbonation and I'm hoping I can just let it go until it stops and put the airlock back on and resume the procedure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewgrassPickins View Post
Hi all. I've been checking out the website for a while now and finally decided to join. I just racked my brewers best IPA to the carboy. I did a little research on adding Pineapple and thought I had it right. I ran 4 pineapples through the juicer, boiled it, cooled it and added it to the carboy after the wort was already in. Everything seemed great until 15 min or so later i noticed foam flowing out of the airlock. I pulled the airlock out and set it in the shower and it's been overflowing for about an hour now. I assume the sugar from the pineapple is creating carbonation and I'm hoping I can just let it go until it stops and put the airlock back on and resume the procedure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
During fermentation your beer gets saturated with all the CO2 it can handle at that temperature. When you add things like hops or fruit, it provides nucleation sites for CO2 to bubble out of solution. That's all. The sooner you get the airlock on, the better. But until then, you're all good.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
BrewgrassPickins
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. 18 hrs later now and it has stopped foaming except now the surface of the wort is about 2-3 inches below the rubber stopper instead if 1 inch. Should i boil more water and add it?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
~Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewgrassPickins View Post
Thanks. 18 hrs later now and it has stopped foaming except now the surface of the wort is about 2-3 inches below the rubber stopper instead if 1 inch. Should i boil more water and add it?
Nope. Just leave it to do its thing. All that CO2 pushed out of solution is sitting on top of the beer protecting it. You should be golden.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
BrewgrassPickins
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool thanks! I'm curious to see what the ABV turns out to be after adding all that pineapple sugar.

Quick Reply