Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Overcarbonated beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
histo320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Overcarbonated beer?

Well, I made my first mistake. not a biggy, but opened a gaelic ale (bottled for 2 weeks), and it fizzed up a little to much. I placed some in the refrigerator hoping that the cooling action will stop the yeast. Not worried about bombs but is there any way to stop it from fizzing up?

Its really not that bad but I am just wanting a good quality beer.

Fermented for 15 days, and reached a the final gravity I was expecting.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Somewhere on youtube I found a video at some point (or maybe someone posted it here) that was very excellent at explaining this. I didn't find it when I looked just now but I'm sure you can find it if you look hard enough.

Basically it explained that it takes about a week for the sugar to get fermented in the bottle and then another two weeks for that carbonation to actually "infuse" itself in the beer. In that meantime the carbonation is separate from the beer and causing a lot of pressure, so if it were to be opened, the beer would foam. Kind of like opening a beer that's still liquid but very near freezing.

Basically they opened a bottle at like 3 days and it wasn't carbonated, one at 2 weeks and it foamed everywhere, and one after the recommended 3 weeks and it had the right carbonation.

I'm not a veteran, but I think you're fine. Don't think you should put your bottles in the fridge, though. That will stop the carbonation and make you have to wait longer!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i will chill new beers in the freezer for ~45 mins right at the outlet of the cold air to test, this calms the foaming alot. hell, i wont drink a beer thats not below 35*.... it has to be in the fridge 2-3 days after three weeks in the bottle before its all good on the pour.

fwiw, my fridge is @ 34*.
yeah, milk might get a little icy once in a blue moon, but my beer is the correct temp for me and milk sucks warm

Old 12-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the help....I will never make this mistake again. Defintely a NOOB mistake. Be sure to listen to the people on these boards impatient overcarbonators!

I opened about 6, let them fizz over, then recapped them, then put back in the fridge. I put one in the freezer from (nosmatt's advice). Was this right to do? The beer tastes great just have to let it fizz out I guess.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
clskinsfan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I will second the freezer....crash cooling seems to help alot.

Quick Reply