Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > over/under carbed beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
timmystank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default over/under carbed beer?

Noob question. So I bottled my first batch bout a week ago. Dont know why but reading things here bout bottle bombs has got me wondering if I F****d up. I siphoned the beer to the bottling bucketafter I put the priming sugar that had been boiled and what not, making sure I had it mixing in with the sugar. Heres my problem...I didnt stir it after Id transferred it all. So Im wondering if possible it didnt mix well and just got the bottom portion. Anyone have any experience with this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

the flow of the beer into the bottling bucket on top of the priming solution will mix it up. i will admit that i've had a few beers that were more carbed than others, but 90% of the bottles have the same carbonation, so you'll be fine.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm no expert, but you should fine. I've heard people say not to stir to prevent oxidation. I normally just put the siphon curved along the side so it acts as a natural stirrer. But then again I just had one batch that took forever to carb, but that was temperature related I believe. My first batch ever was a California Common and I didn't read the directions and just poured the sugar in and siphoned on top of it, and the beer came out really carbed. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never stir. If you have a nice coil of hose in the bottom of the bottling bucket when racking there is no reason to.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You are just having typical first batch brewer nerves.....Relax.

I don't mix either.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply