Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is over-carbonation a big problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Pyrenus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is over-carbonation a big problem?

I'm brewing my first batch this weekend and I feel as though I understand the process pretty well. One question I still have is about over-carbonation.

I've read that after the beer is fully carbonated you could (should?) move the bottles to somewhere cooler so that the yeast goes dormant. Is this necessary, or can I leave my beer at room temp for extended periods of time until I'm ready to drink it?

It seems as though the yeast should stop when they run out of food in the bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

IF you do everything correctly, you are fine to store at room temp (Cooler is better).
If you screw Something up...like decide to bottle on day 4 or something, yes you'll end up with over carbonation and potential bottle bombs. Also, adding too much sugar will cause over carb, but 3/4 cup (5 oz) is a safe and proven amount of sugar to add.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

If you ferment and prime properly, you can store your bottles at room temperature indefinitely. Sometimes it's suggested to keep them in a cooler place- that simply slows down the aging process, so your beer will taste better longer. That's never a problem in my house- I've never had a beer around long enough to age!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 168

If you follow the 3/4 cup corn sugar per 5 gallon batch you'll be fine with carbonation.

If the beer is over carbonated it can come across as thin, acidic, or sharp from the carbonic acid tang.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
HomerBrew
Recipes 

Default over-carbonated in bottles

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help explain what are the primary causes of over-carbonated bottles. LHBS mentioned contaminated storage vessel, bottles, or poorly mixed priming sugar in the wort. My friend and I try to be as sanitary and thorough as possible while cleaning and brewing/bottling. Any other tips or ideas would be welcome. thanks and cheers!

Last edited by HomerBrew; 12-02-2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: incomplete

Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
BeerCrazy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrew View Post
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help explain what are the primary causes of over-carbonated bottles. LHBS mentioned contaminated storage vessel, bottles, or poorly mixed priming sugar in the wort. My friend and I try to be as sanitary and thorough as possible while cleaning and brewing/bottling. Any other tips or ideas would be welcome. thanks and cheers!
WTF? Over carbonating usually has to to with an improper measurement of the sugar addition and perhaps the yeast strand. If it were contamination you would taste it. The sugar wants to mix. Diffusion. Just gently stir.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My biggest cause of over-carbing has been bottling before I should. On occasion, my sg has remained steady, but higher than I thought it would end at. Make sure that the fermentation is done, not stuck!

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
chelero
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my last 2 batches appear to be over carbonated-upon opening the bottle, everything looks fine, then, after about 10 seconds the beer starts to foams very quickly, and I have to pour it quick in order to avoid foaming over. it's bizzarre. there are no apparent off-flavors. both beers were in primary for 1 month, og acheived and checked for 3 consecutive days. both primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar mixed evenly in a bottling bucket. and now both beers have been in the bottle for more than a month. it is strange. the only issue I have is the foaming causes the sediment to stir up, making the beer turbid. sucks. never had this happen before. anybody???

Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you refrigerate the beer, yes the yeast will go dormant... but if you let the beer sit somewhere cooler (say 60-65 F), then you will actually get more carbonation...

Here's a blog post that explains it in more detail: flat home brew beer

Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelero View Post
my last 2 batches appear to be over carbonated-upon opening the bottle, everything looks fine, then, after about 10 seconds the beer starts to foams very quickly, and I have to pour it quick in order to avoid foaming over. it's bizzarre. there are no apparent off-flavors. both beers were in primary for 1 month, og acheived and checked for 3 consecutive days. both primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar mixed evenly in a bottling bucket. and now both beers have been in the bottle for more than a month. it is strange. the only issue I have is the foaming causes the sediment to stir up, making the beer turbid. sucks. never had this happen before. anybody???
Sounds like you've got a "gusher" infection. That happened to me with a batch a few years ago. Not much you can do about it now, but make sure you bleach bomb those bottles before using again, and maybe everything in your brewery. Double check the spigot on your bottling bucket, and clean everything well. I'd toss any plastic, and buy new plastic items (like tubing) since it's pretty cheap.

Quick Reply