Over carbonated gassy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKrizman

Reaction score
First post here. Couldn't find anything using search, so sorry if this is redundant. First of all, thanks to whoever recommend patience in opening that first batch of home brew. I opened one on Thanksgiving after 10 days in the bottle and was disappointed with the cloudy look, the sour taste, the bitter edge and the weak head that disappeared almost immediately. But after waiting the full three weeks, then chilling for 48 hours, I opened a beer in which the flavors had integrated, the color a beautiful translucent carmel, and the full, rich head lasted all the way to the last sip, with nice lacing.

However, it was carbonated to a fault. I'm almost getting a carbonated water taste there are so many bubbles, and it's stepping on the subtlety of the beer taste. I remember in the brewing process I apparently ended up with less than five gallons, because it only filled 22 22 ounce bottles. However, I used all the sugar the recipe called for (doh).

So I have 2 questions. First of all, if your recipe comes out fluid-lite so to speak, are there points at which you can just add more water? Going to the secondary? In the bottling bucket? Secondly, can I improve my current batch by doing something extreme such as opening the bottles, shaking them up a little so they foam over, then recapping?

Thanks again for everyone's sage advice. I'm thrilled my first batch even came out remotely drinkable.

-R

First post here. Couldn't find anything using search, so sorry if this is redundant. First of all, thanks to whoever recommend patience in opening that first batch of home brew. I opened one on Thanksgiving after 10 days in the bottle and was disappointed with the cloudy look, the sour taste, the bitter edge and the weak head that disappeared almost immediately. But after waiting the full three weeks, then chilling for 48 hours, I opened a beer in which the flavors had integrated, the color a beautiful translucent carmel, and the full, rich head lasted all the way to the last sip, with nice lacing.

However, it was carbonated to a fault. I'm almost getting a carbonated water taste there are so many bubbles, and it's stepping on the subtlety of the beer taste. I remember in the brewing process I apparently ended up with less than five gallons, because it only filled 22 22 ounce bottles. However, I used all the sugar the recipe called for (doh).

So I have 2 questions. First of all, if your recipe comes out fluid-lite so to speak, are there points at which you can just add more water? Going to the secondary? In the bottling bucket? Secondly, can I improve my current batch by doing something extreme such as opening the bottles, shaking them up a little so they foam over, then recapping?

Thanks again for everyone's sage advice. I'm thrilled my first batch even came out remotely drinkable.

-R

I bet the problem is too much priming sugar. it should have made more than 22 22oz bottles...i think. do you have the 5 gallon mark marked on your primary. possibly you didn't fill to the 5 gal mark? also, I know foam overs can happen when not left in the bottle long enough. all in all i'd say put them away another month then try one

Yeah 22, 22 oz bottles is under 4 gallons of beer so there was too much priming sugar.

You can add water to the fermenter before pitching yeast to hit 5 gallons.

Back