Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Over Carbed or Infected? Video.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
sledzib
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Over Carbed or Infected? Video.

Hey guys, I need some expert advice. Do you think that this batch is either over carbonated or infected? I brewed this back in January of 2013 and it's been in bottles for over 6 months now. I chilled one for a day and it foams when opened but never leaves the bottom. However, it's impossible to pour. Even pouring the slowest possible I get about 6 inches of heady foam to about 1 inch of liquid. It does have a slight off flavor, but I do remember this batch fermenting away at 80 degrees for the first 2 days. Any or all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Math0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hard to say.. In my opinion when it is infected, you will know.

Try putting them in the fridge longer before opening. Might only be over carb

Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
rhys333
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

What was the batch size and amount/type of priming sugar used? This info will help with troubleshooing.

I'm no expert yet, but I've been going on the rule of thumb of 3/4 cups corn sugar per 5 gal US batch. If you're brewing imperial gallons, then its 1 cup/gallon. Quantities vary for different recipes however, but its worked fine for me so far

Old 10-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Math0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys333 View Post
I'm no expert yet, but I've been going on the rule of thumb of 3/4 cups corn sugar per 5 gal US batch. If you're brewing imperial gallons, then its 1 cup/gallon. Quantities vary for different recipes however, but its worked fine for me so far
Nice tool to use:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Does it taste sour or like vinegar? If not then it's overcarbed.

(Well, technically it could be a wild yeast infection that is fermenting the "unfermentable" sugars, but I highly doubt it).

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 10-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
Black Island Brewer
An Ode to Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledzib View Post
Hey guys, I need some expert advice. Do you think that this batch is either over carbonated or infected? I brewed this back in January of 2013 and it's been in bottles for over 6 months now. I chilled one for a day and it foams when opened but never leaves the bottom. However, it's impossible to pour. Even pouring the slowest possible I get about 6 inches of heady foam to about 1 inch of liquid. It does have a slight off flavor, but I do remember this batch fermenting away at 80 degrees for the first 2 days. Any or all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7FxMPjj1M
So, it's definitely overcarbed, but the question is whether it was too much priming sugar, or wild yeast. Taste it, and if it is super thin and watery, it's likely wild yeast, otherwise, probably to much priming sugar. I've had one lacto infection, and it foamed some, but you could taste it.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 747 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I had 2 batches that I used a different yeast than my usual and while they had 2 weeks or more in the fermenter and were at the expected FG, it turned out that they weren't quite done fermenting and that caused overcarbonation as the yeast continued fermenting in the bottle. You didn't mention how long you left it fermenting before bottling so I suspect you bottled a little too soon.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2013 Times on 1764 Posts
Likes Given: 1491

My initial thoughts as well. Maybe the beer wasn't quite done yet. I've also had minor cases of this,& the beer was done,supposedly. Maybe the combination of priming sugar amount combined with that extra point or two left did it. Put'em in the fridge for at least a week,this cured it for me to where it was pourable.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
sledzib
Recipes 

Thanks all! It had sat in a primary for over 2 weeks, then dry hopped in a secondary for over a week. I never calculate the priming sugar. I'm still an extract brewer and just add the priming sugar packet per the instructions from my kits. It has a little strange flavor but not crazy. Also this fermented way too high so I'm sure that has something to do with the off flavor. I'll be sure to keep one in the fridge for a week then try it. Thanks again!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2013 Times on 1764 Posts
Likes Given: 1491

Here's the priming sugar calculator I use,which goes by weight,not volume. So you'll need a small digital scale; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Quick Reply