New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > over 72 hours, uh oh...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
ziggy13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default over 72 hours, uh oh...

I brewed my second batch of beer on Saturday. Tonight was over 72 hours and I saw no activity from the yeast, so I took a gravity reading. The first thing I noticed was this English Dark Ale didn't smell very good. Then I took the reading and it's still where it was at when I added the yeast. There doesn't really look like there's any mold...what should I do? I did everything the same way I did my first batch which worked out great, though I haven't drank any of it yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Zen_Brew
Zensunni Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

72 hours is starting to get a bit long, but doesn't mean it won't still start up.

We'll need some basic info to help evaluate.
Recipe
Type of yeast
Age of yeast
Did you make a starter if liquid yeast
Temperature of wort when yeast pitched
Temperature wort has been at since you pitched.

I wouldn't focus on any smells just yet.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I was getting ready to ask a few questions, but it seems as if Zen_Brew has already done that. Hop back in here and give us some more info and we will point you in the right direction.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Recipe: Brewer's Best English Dark Ale
Type of yeast: Nottingham
Age of yeast: exp: 08/2010
Did you make a starter if liquid yeast: no it's dry yeast
Temperature of wort when yeast pitched: 75.5 degrees F. The strip thermometer on the outside of my fermenter said something like 80 degrees but I trust the thermometer I stuck in the wort more.
Temperature wort has been at since you pitched: it has remained at approximately 68 degrees F according to the thermometer on the outside, but my other thermometer says 62 degrees on the inside.

The packet of yeast said to suspend the yest in 86-92 degree water and then mix it with the wort. I did not do that, I followed the directions that came with the recipe and it said once the wort was chilled to 70 degrees dump the yeast in and mix it around.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just went and checked my fermenter and it looks a lot different than it did last night. There is some bubbles that have formed and the gravity is slightly lower, from 1.042 to about 1.037 today. Should I bring the fermenter out of my basement to a warmer climate for a bit?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Leave it where it is. The mid sixties is a great temperature to ferment ales. Notty can throw some nasty flavors if it ferments too high.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy13 View Post
I just went and checked my fermenter and it looks a lot different than it did last night. There is some bubbles that have formed and the gravity is slightly lower, from 1.042 to about 1.037 today. Should I bring the fermenter out of my basement to a warmer climate for a bit?
That's why we say 75 hours...but remember with LIVING MICROORGANISMS, anything we suggest is just a "rule of thumb," or average, based on our experience, but that doesn't mean the yeasties don't have their own timeframe and agenda...they are the beer bosses, not us.

Remember, if you have sanitized and sealed up your fermenter even if it is over 72 hours your wort wont be ruined if it takes longer. You can buy these and yeast wort kits in some shops. It's basically a 2 or 3 soda bottle of wort that you open, pitch yeast in and snap an airlock on. And those sit for many months on store shelves. And although I am sure it is not the greatest beer in the world, the wort doesn't instantly go bad if they are not sold within 72 hours of being sealed up.

So don't automatically assume just because the yeast doesn't appear to take off for over 72 hours, that it is automatically going to spoil, if you haven't opened the fermenter.

And under most circumstances your yeast will take off...UNLESS you have had mail order liquid yeast sent to you in the heat of summer and didn't make a starter, OR you dropped the yeast into boiling wort.

It is not like the bad old days of pre/1978 brewing when yeast came in dried out cakes that may have travelled in a hot cargo ship over months from Europe. Most yeast today is lightyears healthier than it was back then....

And even if some of the cells are dead, the first thing the yeasties are going to do when presented with 5 gallons of food is have an orgy and reproduce.....that is what is usually happening in the so called lag time...the yeast are waking up, and beginning to raise an army to tackle all that food.

If we can grow a huge 1/2 or 1 gallon starter from the dregs in a bottle of beer, then the yeast you pitch will take off eventually....and if you leave your fermenter alone...don't even look at it, in fact if you trust it...it will be fine.

They've been doing this fermentation stuff for over 4,000 years in some pretty hostile condition, they should be able to handle your nicely sanitized and sealed fermenter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5734 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That's why we say 75 hours...but remember with LIVING MICROORGANISMS, anything we suggest is just a "rule of thumb," or average, based on our experience, but that doesn't mean the yeasties don't have their own timeframe and agenda...they are the beer bosses, not us.

Remember, if you have sanitized and sealed up your fermenter even if it is over 72 hours your wort wont be ruined if it takes longer. You can buy these and yeast wort kits in some shops. It's basically a 2 or 3 soda bottle of wort that you open, pitch yeast in and snap an airlock on. And those sit for many months on store shelves. And although I am sure it is not the greatest beer in the world, the wort doesn't instantly go bad if they are not sold within 72 hours of being sealed up.

So don't automatically assume just because the yeast doesn't appear to take off for over 72 hours, that it is automatically going to spoil, if you haven't opened the fermenter.

And under most circumstances your yeast will take off...UNLESS you have had mail order liquid yeast sent to you in the heat of summer and didn't make a starter, OR you dropped the yeast into boiling wort.

It is not like the bad old days of pre/1978 brewing when yeast came in dried out cakes that may have travelled in a hot cargo ship over months from Europe. Most yeast today is lightyears healthier than it was back then....

And even if some of the cells are dead, the first thing the yeasties are going to do when presented with 5 gallons of food is have an orgy and reproduce.....that is what is usually happening in the so called lag time...the yeast are waking up, and beginning to raise an army to tackle all that food.

If we can grow a huge 1/2 or 1 gallon starter from the dregs in a bottle of beer, then the yeast you pitch will take off eventually....and if you leave your fermenter alone...don't even look at it, in fact if you trust it...it will be fine.

They've been doing this fermentation stuff for over 4,000 years in some pretty hostile condition, they should be able to handle your nicely sanitized and sealed fermenter.

It's deja vu all over again (sorry Rev, I swear I just read this in another post)

Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
It's deja vu all over again (sorry Rev, I swear I just read this in another post)
Yeah, you did I thought it was worth putting in the 72 hours sticky after I wrote it here.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. I was originally worried because my first batch, Brewer's Best American Amber, reached it's FG in less than 72 hours. I ended up bottling it after 4 days. This batch seems to be taking much longer to even start showing signs of fermentation.

The only thing I can come up with is I added the yeast when my fermenter said 78 degrees...which meant a thermometer reading from the inside would have been about 84 degrees. This batch the fermenter said about 70 degrees and the internal temp was 75.5 degrees. From what I've read I think yeast will ferment faster if started at a higher temperature?

Next time, should I follow the instructions on the yeast packet rather than just dumping the yeast in and mixing when the temp is at 70 degrees like my beer kit instructions said?

Also, I did open the fermentor up, last night and again today to take the gravity readings. I assume this is ok?

Quick Reply