Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Over 20% sugar in tripel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
ChessRockwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorc13 View Post
It was a full boil...I'm still confused about it.
Did you use LME? I've noticed a certain brand of LME I've used consistently came up with a lower OG than it should have based on what the software said. DME has always been pretty consistent for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
If it was extract I seriously doubt you missed your OG. Was it a partial boil? If so then it was just the top off water was not fully mixed. With extract it is almost impossible to miss OG unless your volumes were off. I would just stick with the original recipe.
Couldn't different makers of LME dry it out more/less and have varying amounts of water in it? Wouldn't that be a way to miss your OG using extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
dbhokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Your beer will be totally ****ed and destroy your entire house.
That's great. Just great. That's why you always put a box of nails on top of your beer to increase lethality.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
Did you use LME? I've noticed a certain brand of LME I've used consistently came up with a lower OG than it should have based on what the software said. DME has always been pretty consistent for me...
Couldn't different makers of LME dry it out more/less and have varying amounts of water in it? Wouldn't that be a way to miss your OG using extract?
Yeah it was LME. I even did the math by hand and it should have come up with a higher OG. Oh well. I'll make sure I check my preboil gravity better next time.

Thanks for the input

Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhokie View Post
that's great. Just great. That's why you always put a box of nails on top of your beer to increase lethality.
LOL... maybe I'll try that!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
bullsneck
Recipes 

There's a good chance that this 'cidery' taste that new brewers may encounter when using sugar may in fact be acetaldehyde due to the fact they are pitching 1/4oz (7g) of yeast that's been on a supermarket shelf for months into a full 5gal (19L) batch.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsneck View Post
There's a good chance that this 'cidery' taste that new brewers may encounter when using sugar may in fact be acetaldehyde due to the fact they are pitching 1/4oz (7g) of yeast that's been on a supermarket shelf for months into a full 5gal (19L) batch.
Yes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply