Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Outgassing vs. Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Outgassing vs. Fermentation

I have a primary that has had airlock activity for over 3 weeks. What is the difference between outgassing and fermentation, and how long can outgassing occur after fermentation is finished?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Only your hydrometer knows the difference. Once the reading is the same for 3 days in a row it's finished fermentation and just outgassing. At three weeks I'd guess fermentation is most likely finished.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you have a carboy or Better Bottle, it's easy to tell - shine a flashlight in there and see where the bubbles originate. If they all come from the yeast bed, you've got fermentation (or, at least, organic activity - anaerobic breakdown of organic matter can also release gases unrelated to fermentation). If the bubbles originate from the walls of the carboy well above the yeast bed, you've got outgassing.

As long as your expected final gravity has been reached and has remained stable for a week or so, you can convince those last, persistent yeast to quit by cold crashing.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick Reply