Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Our First Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 11:16 PM   #21
Punn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

the ida was done wednesday, it reached correct final and was done fermenting. and the stout also was down to gravity, it called for a secondary for clearity and some more fermentation, but we got a bit overzealous when we tasted it while moveing it to the secondary, so it went into a keg and force carbed for this weekend. mmmmm good. the other two are gonna sit in the bottles for a few weeks bfore we crack them. but the ida was ment to be for this weekend, being a single fermenting batch

Lots O Beer In the Bottle!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #22
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

As I understand it, even though your FG may get to the target quickly (mine often does after 5 days) it's still not completely done. Other things are going on as well after that and the reason to let it sit a while longer (2 weeks one fermenter, 3 weeks two for pri/sec on avg). I don't recall the techie stuff pertaining to this but I do recall reading that in the Complete Joy of HB book.

It most certainly will still be beer but I'd suspect would be even better if you let it site/age a while longer. If nothing else it allows it to clarify and the suspended gunk to settle out with time. Its hard though especially with the 1st batch.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:40 AM   #23
Punn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
As I understand it, even though your FG may get to the target quickly (mine often does after 5 days) it's still not completely done. Other things are going on as well after that and the reason to let it sit a while longer (2 weeks one fermenter, 3 weeks two for pri/sec on avg). I don't recall the techie stuff pertaining to this but I do recall reading that in the Complete Joy of HB book.

It most certainly will still be beer but I'd suspect would be even better if you let it site/age a while longer. If nothing else it allows it to clarify and the suspended gunk to settle out with time. Its hard though especially with the 1st batch.

I do understand this, thus the reason for the other batches doin their secondary and being bottled to age. The ida only called for 5-6 days ferment, or untill it met gravity, per the recipe, remember not a too complex recipe. And after the taste test with the co2 forced into it, it is doing quite well. And when we make more they will be fermented longer, but give us a small break, patience is something I lack! hahah, but hey it all tastes good, and I'm hopeing the ageing of the other 2 will be awsome! as they were awsome during bottleing today!

Old 08-15-2005, 02:50 AM   #24
Punn
Recipes 

wow, We drank the blazberry, phew, 2-3 of them and I get buzzed!!!! Nice!!!! The spiced winter ale is quite stong on the ginger side, we over did the ginger a bit, but there are a few ppl who love it. It should settle good by november/december,. I got first pour pics but left the camera at my brothers house. Next 2 we are gonna do , is a cherry stout and an oatmeal stout

Quick Reply