Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Our First Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #11
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Blazberry Honey Wheat! I like the name! Sounds like it would taste good, too! I'd like to take a stab at brewing that sometime.

I'll second, er... third Janx' advice. Glad to see you're gonna do an IPA. I did my first two AG's recently, both pale ales, and I'm glad I started out that way. I think I might've been overwhelmed starting out with something complex like an Imperial Stout or even a Blazberry Honey Wheat.

And I'm willing to bet your IPA will make for much better sipping than a Rolling Rock!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2005, 02:34 AM   #12
Punn
Recipes 

yeah we are gonna do a extract IPA first, then get a few more fancy ones under our belts and then goto all grain. Oh BTW, we smelt the beer today, (bubbles from the air locks) and wow the blazberry honey wheat smells awsome, the holiday spice smells, like cinamon and ginger, very nice! Secondary this week, bottle in two weeks. drink in 1 month!!!!!!! Mmmmmmm Beer!

Lots O Beer In the Bottle!

Old 07-30-2005, 11:59 PM   #13
Punn
Recipes 

Well day 2 in the "brew house" is officially in the record books. 6 hours, 3 more batches! We moved our Holiday Spice Ale and Blazberry Honey Wheat to the Secondary. Wow the smells!!! And the taste!!! Hydrometer readings are good so far. No bad taste. And if you like ginger then make the Holiday Spice Ale!

We brewed an "IDA" calling it India Dark Ale, cause insted of toasted malt we used 1/2 lb of dark malt , L440 I believe was the scale on it. But it come out nice and simple and started fermenting within 2 hours. Then we did a Deep Winter Stout. wow was it a good black beer. Also fermenting within an hour. And then we made a batch of mead... How simple was that. 2 gallons of boiling water, added 1 gallon of honey. Boiled for 40 minutes. Cooled, pitched yeast and off it went. With a starting Gravity of 1.080 So it should be nice when it is finished!!! I will keep ya updated!

Old 07-31-2005, 12:25 AM   #14
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No way you're a beginning brewer! Your last brew week by far has topped my best brew month
Keep at it

Old 07-31-2005, 04:25 AM   #15
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre the giant
You've got to have a boilover before you can consider yourself "initiated" in this fraternity. Simply turn around, just for 10 seconds or so... just long enough for the pot to spit some foam and crud down the side of the kettle. It's quick, painless, and part of life. (unless you have a nice 10-15 gallon brew kettle. In that case, I envy you)
You mean like what happened to me today when I was boiling the DME for my priming. I BLINKED and there was DME water everywhere. And wow, does that crystalize on the burners quickly.

What's even better than a boil-over is an overzealous siphoning. Or when you let go of the hose for just a moment and BAM there's wort everywhere. Then you're better off burning the house down and starting over than trying to clean that sticky mess off your floor. Somehow, I STILL have wort in my sandals.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #16
Punn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kephren
No way you're a beginning brewer! Your last brew week by far has topped my best brew month
Keep at it
Thanks thanks!

And to Sam, still no boil over. Must be the chef in my brother as he wathces and makes sure stuff does not boil over. Hell today when the mead was boiling, we went up stairs for the 40 minutes it boiled and let it go alone with no boil over. Once the surface tension has set, it is ok after that. Atleast that is what the chef tells me!

Old 08-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #17
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
You'd be suprised how satisfying it is to make a beer that tastes more like beers you'd buy at the pub (pale ale, IPA, porter, etc) and realize it's fresher and tastier and, heck yeah, you made it!
you have to walk before you run best to make the pales/bitters/ipa's first with the all grain, get yer sparge techniques down, then move on to more advanced and creative recipes.

welcome to the club and enjoy!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 AM   #18
Punn
Recipes 

Well the IDA is keg'd and tasted good going in. we force carbinated it because we have a huge band festivle this weekend to attend and want some home brew. So it is sitting in the keg, at 35psi. Can not wait to taste it. We are bottleing our first 2 brews tomorrow. and moveing the stout to the secondary!

Old 08-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #19
Punn
Recipes 

And finally. All but the mead are either keg'd or bottled. We bottled our first 2 today, wow did they smell and taste awsome. And keg'd the winter stout, it was freaking great! Gonna be drinking 10 gallons of home brew this weeked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #20
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So you guys just kegged two brews that have fermented less than five days? Sorry, didn't realize I'd stumbled into the speed brewing forum.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Quick Reply