Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Our First Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
Punn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Our First Brews

Well I know there is a lot of begginer stories on the forum, so I figured I would toss mine into the mix. Me and my brother brewed our first two batches last night. We did a "Blazberry Honey Wheat" (raspberry, blueberry, and wheat beer with honey). The brew process was very easy. It was a partial mash recipie. My brother is a cook and I do the science end, so it was a good mix of brains on the matter. We enjoyed it very much. And nothing went wrong. We were sanitary (probably over sanitary) but that is a good thing! The initial SG of the batch was 1.060, and it tasted good, we had to steal a taste of the wort! And we had yeast action within the first hour after pitching. We will secondary it this saturday , depending on the activity on it, then bottle two weeks from them.

The second batch we did was a Holiday Spice Ale, a recipe we got out of "The Brewmasters Bible". It again came out awsome. Our specifig gravity was dead on the recipie. Also had quick yeast action on that batch as well. And now 24 hours into it, the action is good and heavy, and we have not had any spill over!!!! So I will update on the secondary and then bottleing! I can see how this can get obsessive.

-Punn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2005, 04:10 AM   #2
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1) Welcome to the forum!

2) You sound like a pro already. Cooking and science is all there is to it, and it sounds like you have the best of both worlds.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punn
Well I know there is a lot of begginer stories on the forum, so I figured I would toss mine into the mix. Me and my brother brewed our first two batches last night. We did a "Blazberry Honey Wheat" (raspberry, blueberry, and wheat beer with honey). The brew process was very easy. It was a partial mash recipie. My brother is a cook and I do the science end, so it was a good mix of brains on the matter. We enjoyed it very much. And nothing went wrong. We were sanitary (probably over sanitary) but that is a good thing! The initial SG of the batch was 1.060, and it tasted good, we had to steal a taste of the wort! And we had yeast action within the first hour after pitching. We will secondary it this saturday , depending on the activity on it, then bottle two weeks from them.

The second batch we did was a Holiday Spice Ale, a recipe we got out of "The Brewmasters Bible". It again came out awsome. Our specifig gravity was dead on the recipie. Also had quick yeast action on that batch as well. And now 24 hours into it, the action is good and heavy, and we have not had any spill over!!!! So I will update on the secondary and then bottleing! I can see how this can get obsessive.

-Punn
You make me SICK!! I hope you have a massive boilover next batch. And a stuck sparge on your first all grain batch!!

Congrats man....two on your first brew day is motivation! Welcome to the forum and let us know how they come out!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 07-26-2005, 05:03 AM   #4
Punn
Recipes 

thanks guys! Appreciate all the feedback! And I will definatly let u know how it goes. And as for our first all grain, we are planning a frambose lambic. Got my 10 gallon oak barrel on the way! But we got a cpl stouts we are gonna do, and the mead. So its all good! I will get back to u all upon secondary of these two awsome brews

Lots O Beer In the Bottle!

Old 07-26-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

You might want to try making a standard beer style beer like an IPA or an ale. There's nothing as fun as pouring a beer for a friend and they react with suprise that your beer is better than the Sierra Nevada they buy at the store.

Also, just a suggestion, but you may want to try something a little more...simple...for your first all-grain. There's a lot of new stuff to figure out, and a framboise fermented in wood has a very real chance of failure for even the most experienced brewer. I'd hate to see all the tricky aspects of lambic brewing (unmalted wheat, wild yeast, unsanitary fermenter) sour your first all-grain experience...no pun intended

Just a suggestion. Maybe you like drinking fruit and spice beer all the time, but it's something I see a lot of new brewers doing because of their initial enthusiasm ans desire to be really creative. You'd be suprised how satisfying it is to make a beer that tastes more like beers you'd buy at the pub (pale ale, IPA, porter, etc) and realize it's fresher and tastier and, heck yeah, you made it!

Cheers

Old 07-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

damn guy's, talk about full blast! good luck and welcome to the world of brewing. looks like your already addicted like us. :~)

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 07-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Punn
Recipes 

If the lambic fails, that is life, we try try again! And we are dark beer drinkers. The only regular beer we drink is rolling rock. Thats about it. I would rather sit with a honey wheat, which is one of our friends best brews, But thanks for the advice!

Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You've got to have a boilover before you can consider yourself "initiated" in this fraternity. Simply turn around, just for 10 seconds or so... just long enough for the pot to spit some foam and crud down the side of the kettle. It's quick, painless, and part of life. (unless you have a nice 10-15 gallon brew kettle. In that case, I envy you)

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 07-26-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
Punn
Recipes 

so can i just say that i stopped a boilover before it happened cause i had a cut of cool water waiting, that is the cook in my brother. so I got a slight advantage! I just hope from what all I have been reading that my one step cleaner did the trick. cause i have heard very good about it and bad. So i hope ours are good. but lke i said, quick action, and now 2 days in they are still going to town. So I am hopeing it is all well. Gonna sanny the secondarys about 30 minutes prior to filling and let them sit with sani till about 2 mins before filling.

And Janx, We are gonna brew a simple IPA next i think , just because it seems it will be ready to drink quicker! and good to sit around and drink during a 2 - 3 batch brew session!

Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 AM   #10
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I'd agree with Janx on the simple AG. I have only 20 batches or so under my belt and my last two were all grain. An english pale ale with minimal ingredients that I just started tapping into this weekend. I am extremely satisfied with it. Nice and clear; nice hop bitterness / flavor. Nothing masking the success based on exotic ingredients. Its just a great batch from a simple recipe.

Quick Reply