Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > For other n00bs - what active fermentation looks like

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
schneemann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default For other n00bs - what active fermentation looks like

Lots of times, newbie home brewers post messages on internet messageboards asking if there's something wrong with their beer because it has some funny looking foam on it and stuff floating around. Well, that's perfectly normal!

The carboy on the right is in active primary fermentation of an ale, just over 24 hours after pitching. The foam at the top is called "krausen". Fermentation is very active, as can be seen by the "stuff" floating around.

In the left carboy is another beer (a lager fermented with ale yeast) which is pretty much done fermenting.

In the middle is a large mason jar full of sanitizer solution. The tubes going into it are blowoff tubes.

The ultra-high tech soda can mod is to keep the darn blowoff tubes from falling out of the water.

Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice, hopefully this will prevent more of those "Does this look infected" type threads.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 08-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

This is what active fermentation sounds like.
Turn your sound up.

This is what it looks like.

Quick Reply