Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Original Gravity too high??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
squeekybobo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestin
i

Bobo - did you use the oak chips? I have a carboy i'll use as a secondary after 2 weeks in the fermeter (per the book i bought)
I didn't use the oak chips. I soaked them in good bourbon and put them in a secondary with a dry stout. :-) the Irish stout kit from Midwest, actually. As far as opening the fermenter, leave it alone. You should be able to kind of see the liquid line from the outside. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get cracking on your next brew :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That being said, I want to brew with Revvy and Yooper some day. They rule.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Beestin
Recipes 

I checked last night and the level was only about 4 1/2 gallons so i opened it and put in about 6 bottled waters to bring it closer to 5 gal. Was that a bad idea? Also I'm in Iowa and we just went from 80 degree temps to a high of 50! I have the fermenter in my basement. The temp says 68-70 right now and the airlock started bubbling over night so i'm good now but is there a temp i should NOT go below? I could bring the fermenter upstairs but i read not to move it whle its fermenting. I dont have the heat on so i'm afraid it might start cooling down! Any suggestions? Thanks! Its my first brew so i'm still in the dark on a lot

Quick Reply