Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Original Gravity too high??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Beestin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Original Gravity too high??

I got a kit from Midwest called Octane IPA. I found online the OG should be 1.067 OG (1.060 to 1.070). I used the hydrometer that came with my kit and it was more like 1.08!? Is that too high? Should I add more water to the fermenter bucket? I just brewed last night so no bubbling of the airlock yet. Help!
Brett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Beestin
Recipes 

Also the OG i found was from the internet - not from Midwest so i'm not 100% sure it's correct. From what i've read 1.08 sounds high?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestin
Also the OG i found was from the internet - not from Midwest so i'm not 100% sure it's correct. From what i've read 1.08 sounds high?
If you added top off water, perhaps the reading you took was from before you added it or the water wasn't mixed in. Worst case, it'll be higher abv. Tasty kit, I've done that one before.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Beestin
Recipes 

i boiled 2 gallons separate, then 3 gallons to make the wort. The reading was after i mixed it all together. Possibly some of the water boiled off and i dont have 5 full gallons anymore? I didn't think about it when i put the wort in the fermenter but there was a 5 gallon mark on the outside. Can i open the fementer to see how high the wort is? If it's below 5 gallons should i fill it with water to the 5 gallon mark?

Bobo - did you use the oak chips? I have a carboy i'll use as a secondary after 2 weeks in the fermeter (per the book i bought)

Old 10-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

It's really hard to miss your OG with an extract batch if you used the correct amount of water. Actually, it's near impossible if you used all the extract and the right amount of water. Either way, no worries. I also agree that this is a great kit. I made it this past spring and had it on tap this summer, good beer.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Beestin
Recipes 

What happens if the OG is too high (i.e. i didn't put enough water in) Does it make a "thicker" beer in the end?? I had just put the water in with the wort so possibly didn't mix it well enough before taking sample.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Your gravites weren't off, your gravity READINGS were.....that's not the same thing.

Read this.

Attention new brewers, yes your original gravity reading is wrong. Don't panic.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
BigBlueDog

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Higher OG may result in a higher alcohol content, since there is more sugar for the yeast to ferment. This assumes sufficient yeast count and fermentation conditions to get down to the original target gravity.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestin View Post
What happens if the OG is too high (i.e. i didn't put enough water in) Does it make a "thicker" beer in the end?? I had just put the water in with the wort so possibly didn't mix it well enough before taking sample.
If you're volume is correct, then like I said, your OG is not REALLY high. You're reading might be, but not the beer. Read what I linked and relax, you're only the fifth poster today who's come in with this issue.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
theDeutscher
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

How soon after the boil did you take the reading? Did you shut off the boil, dump in the top-off water, mix, and the take the reading? No other cooling? The wort could have still been well over 100F, giving you a reading that would be right around 1.080 for those temperatures.

Quick Reply