The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Original Gravity Reading is Off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
deion528
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Original Gravity Reading is Off

Just stated a Hoegaarden clone. The kit stated that the OG should be around 1.050, however I got mulitple readings from 1.010 to 1.030. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's pretty much impossible to not hit your target gravity with an extract kit because the amount of fermentables is set. However, wort and top off water are hard to mix thoroughly so your reading will be off because your sample is mostly top off water. The yeast will find all the sugars so it's not a problem.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

When I am doing an extract with grain recipe I make sure to stir for a minimum of 5 minutes (whipping up a froth to aerate as well) before I draw a grav sample and pitch my yeast....It really is an effort to integrate the wort with the top off water...This is a fairly common new brewer issue we get on here...

Don't sweat it..unless you under or over tipped off or the final volume for the kit was 5.5 as opposed to 5 gallons and you topped off to 5, that is more than likely the problem.

It doesn't mean anything...the wort and water will merge fine during fermentation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say it's not homogenized, like Revvy said...mix it a lot before taking your OG reading. Stirring in oxygen at this step is not a bad thing.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
deion528
Recipes 

Awesome, thank you guys for the info. It appears to be fermenting appropriately so we'll see.

Cheers.

Quick Reply