Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ordered a MRB, but got some extras! Help ID them PLZ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

A 5.3 gallon bucket can handle ~4.5 gallons of beer.
I'm not sure what size your bucket is, but you'll need to leave ~0.75-1 gallon or so for head space. It foams up. Some people use a blow off tube (~1/4" tubing running into a bottle of sanitizer), and with such I think it'll handle a higher volume.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
rodwha
Recipes 

If you have a 5 gal bucket and will be buying a kit consider that you may need to reduce the volume. This means, if you use all of the ingredients, that it'll be a little darker, a little more bitter (hoppier), and have a higher alcohol content.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
S2005
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have a really big 50 gallon storage container. Is that good for sanitizing?

I guess I'll have to get the auto-siphon AND the racking cane.

I'm sure the people at the LHBS will be able to guide me through the process

In the mean time, MRB just got to my house, so I'll pop my cherry on that!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #24
rodwha
Recipes 

"...blow off tube (~1/4" tubing running into a bottle of sanitizer)..."

This tube is run through the hole in the bucket lid that the air lock would have gone. You use it for the first several days while it's spewing krausen (foamy stuff). Then afterward you replace the air lock.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #25
rodwha
Recipes 

The size doesn't matter so much i don't suppose as long as there is room for frozen water bottles too, and the water can cover ~2/3-3/4 of the bucket.

You won't need a large storage container for sanitizing or for a blow off tube. For a blow off tube all you'd need is a plastic juice bottle or a large soda bottle might be enough. Nothing big.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
rodwha
Recipes 

You don't need a racking cane with an auto-siphon.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #27
S2005
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So... here's a question...

Temperature is apparently a big deal. Normally, here where I live (In Southern Alabama) It gets really hot.

I keep my house in the high 60's. Should I wrap the fermentor?

I just got my MRB in the mail today, and plan on pitching the yeast tomorrow.

I need to buy a small thermometer to find out what the temp is in a few dark spots in my house... closets, cabinets, etc...

Think it will be safe to go ahead and brew tomorrow, and pick up a thermometer later on? What thermometer do you guys recommend (Without breaking the bank!)

<--- Budget Brewer!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
S2005
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd also like to throw in that I google'd my area, and found a LHBS IN Alabama!!!

They are open tomorrow from 10A-2P. I'm going to try to convince SWMBO to let us swing by there!

Gonna do some research online to see what good prices are.

Gonna try to pick up:
Lids for my brewing buckets
Buy a 6Gal and a 5Gal Better Bucket with caps etc
Auto-siphon
Fermometer & Thermometer

Then, I'll have 3 brewing set-ups!
The Better Bottles, the Brewing Buckets, and a MRB!

Thoughts Gentlemen? Ladies?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

If your house gets to the high sixties, your fermentation (especially if you don't get it really cool to start - which is likely because your water is likely pretty warm) will likely reach mid to high seventies. That is pretty warm for fermentation unless you're making a Cali common or something special.

I suggest a swamp cooler. It's a small price to add for a big improvement. Fill a tub with ice water and swap out 2 liter bottles of ice to maintain a temp in the low to mid sixties. Your beer will thank you for it.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
rodwha
Recipes 

If you do nothing to control the temp it will easily get 10* warmer. Most ale yeasts are at their best between 64-70* or so.

I had been just monitoring the water temp with a floating thermometer and keeping the water around 64*. When I bought a fermometer it stated that the temp inside was still about 4* warmer.

A few degrees can mean the difference between an OK beer and a good beer, or at the higher end, whether or not you have created any fusel alcohols, which are nasty!

I live in central Texas where it is quite hot, and I can't keep my house that low or else SWMBO gets very mad. It's roughly 75* in mine. But I have an extra bedroom that seems to be a little cooler and so I keep all of the beer stuff, camping, hunting, etc. in there.

Look into the swamp cooler. Your house temp won't mean much. Unless you make a Belgian beer where the temps can get into the 80's.

I, too, am a budget brewer, and do what I can to reduce my costs or find things to repurpose, such as using 2 qt juice containers for yeast starters and harvesting the yeast after I bottle a batch. I also reuse 1 gal vinegar jugs for chilling top off water, wort chilling water, and harvesting yeast.

Look into "washing yeast" to find how to reuse your yeast. Big cost savings right there. Or you can do as I am going to try next, which is to just make a larger yeast starter and save a 1/3 of it so as not to have to go through the hassle of "washing" the yeast. It only costs about $0.50 in DME to make enough extra....

Here's the floating thermometer I use for $5.95:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/186...ter_-_Floating

Do you know if your LHBS sells grains in exacting amounts?

You ought to compare prices with MoreBeer. Compared to the few others I originally looked into the prices were similar, but they gave free shipping on orders of $59+, which tipped it favorably. But some prices on things were a little better with MoreBeer. The only downside was selling grains by the pound, and LME by the pound starting with 4 lb bags, and a lack of wheat LME.

Any idea as to what type of yeast you'll be buying?

What kind of beer are you making?

Quick Reply