Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ordered a MRB, but got some extras! Help ID them PLZ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 70

When I got burned by my LHBS and looked at a few of the online sources I found MoreBeer to be the best deal.
http://morebeer.com/

You'll need a bucket with a hole in it, as well as a grommet for the air lock. You'll want a fermometer, a floating thermometer, and the auto siphon. You'll need muslin bags or reusable hop bags, and potentially a grain bag. You'll also need a plastic storage bin to fill ~ 1/2 way with water that you'll put your fermenting bucket in, along with frozen soda bottles filled with water (all sizes up to 2 liters). You want to keep the water between 58-66* or so as your beer is likely several degrees warmer than that (I didn't ralize that until I bought a fermometer).

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
rodwha
Recipes 

You'll also need about 2 1/2 cases of amber beer bottles. They are expensive so I'd advise you to buy craft beer in pry off tops and save them for use.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
good to see you're not overly litigious
I actually did well in typing in high school! Typing.....anyone remember typewriters?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
S2005
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Ok, so I may drive over to Pensacola (only 45 minutes away) and find a LHBS there.

So far, my grocery list to complete this set-up is:
Auto-siphon (which takes care of the racking cane too right?)
Lids for the buckets. I'm guessing they are 6.5Gal? Do I need ones with holes drilled in them or not?
Thermometer
Hydrometer test vial/jar

My Dad also has some of those huge water bottles (blue ones) that go on those water machines. Can those be used instead of Carboys?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
rodwha
Recipes 

The auto-siphon is all you need.
1 lid for the fermenting bucket that has a hole in it (~1/2") and a grommet for it. Unless you have more than the fermenting and bottling bucket.
A floating thermometer, and a fermometer, which sticks to the bucket like on a fish tank.
A test jar, yes. I forgot that as I don't use mine. You'll need a wine thief (turkey baster is what I have) to pull the sample of beer to test.
The water bottle might be OK as long as the recycle numbers match food grade.
Don't forget beer bottles. You'll need ~ 2 1/2 case per batch depending on size (5.3 gal fills those), and any more bottle caps if you'll be making more beer than what those can handle.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
rodwha
Recipes 

And a storage container to hold the bucket and water.
And plenty of soda bottles filled with frozen water.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
rodwha
Recipes 

And muslin/hop bags, and a grain bag if you'll be steeping grains.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
rodwha
Recipes 

Free online brew calculator called Hopville:
http://hopville.com/
Go to beer calculus and it'll bring up the calculator.

Here's a carbonation (priming) calculator too:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

1) Auto Siphon does take care of the raking cane.

2) Bring the buckets to the LHBS. Make sure the lids fit. You don't need to buy ones with holes drilled in them . . . you can drill them yourself. . . but I'd just get the pre drilled ones. Make sure to get appropriate stoppers, if necessary.

3) PET Water Bottles CAN be used as carboys . . . sometimes. There are threads on here talking about it. In general, make sure they're an appropriate type of plastic (check the number on the bottom . . . you want 1 or 2 for the best results, I think, but check to be sure). The issue is making sure you have an appropriately sized stopper.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
rodwha
Recipes 

I went by my local grocer's bakery and picked up 5 ~5.3 gallon food grade buckets for free. Had icing in them, which was a pain to clean out, but now I have too many buckets for free!

Quick Reply