Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ordered a MRB, but got some extras! Help ID them PLZ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
S2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Ordered a MRB, but got some extras! Help ID them PLZ?

So, my MRB should be here tmorrow if UPS Tracking can be trusted.

After work today, I decided to go see my parents. Dad and I were hanging out on the porch drinking a cold one, and talking about Alabama vs Notre Dame coming up in a couple days.

I mention that I ordered a beer brewing starter kit, and I'm going to see if It's something I like. Told him he was going to be my test subject.

He said, "Oh Yeah? Huh." Wandered back into his garage, and gave me what looks like 2 white 5 gallon buckets filled with beer brewing supplies.

Not sure exactly what I have, so here it all is:

I also just noticed that some of the "ingredients" expired back in 1996 HAHAHA

All the pictures are *Clickable Thumbnails*

These are the white buckets. Only 1 of them has a hole drilled in it for (I'm guessing) a tap.

This one is pretty self-explanatory.

Here is where I run into questions:
I get the scrubby brush, not sure what to scrub with it...
The clear hose is for....?
That tiny black cap is for....?
That white and red thing I think is a tap for the side of the bucket.
The clear plastic thing beside it is.....?
The bag of bottle caps are self-explanatory.

This is a Hydrometer... pretty self-explanatory though I don't yet know how to use one.

Here are the two (I'm guessing Premade) beer recipes. They expired in 1996... hahah so I'm guessing my dad had this in his garage for a while!

Here is a big bag of corn sugar. I'm guessing its bad too? How long does it keep for? The above beer premixes expired in 1996...
Also a neat little brewing book, and some cleaner... not sure if that can expire too.
The long clear tube at the bottom I'm guessing and hoping is a bottle wand? It has a small spring in the end of it with a plastic contraption.

Also came with a bunch of "snazzy" directions... hahaha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The bucket with the hole in it is likely your bottling bucket. You put the spigot on it and when ready to bottle, rack the beer from the fermenter into the bottling bucket that contains a solution of boiled water and priming sugar).

The scrubby brush is likely for a glass carboy, which you don't seem to have.

The clear hose is used when you rack (transfer) beer from the primary fermenter to the bottling bucket, and then to the bottles. It does not look like you have a racking cane (you will need one). I would recomment getting an auto siphon though, you can google it. They are great for transferring beer.

Not sure what the black thing is, looks like the cap that goes on the end of the racking cane.

The malt extract is fairly old, you may want to consider getting fresh extract (and yeast for that matter).

The dextrose (corn sugar) is fine. It really does not go bad so you can use it.

The long clear tube does in fact look like a bottling wand.

I would grab an autosiphon, some fresh extract and yeast and you'll be on your way to brewing! Good luck!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

The clear plastic thing is an airlock. You use it to allow CO2 from fermentation to escape your fermenter without allowing anything bad from the environment to get in.

Fill it with a sanitizing solution (or a lot of people just use cheap vodka or even plain water, but it is better to have something that will kill baddies) and put it in the small hole in the lid of the bucket (if you have one, you didn't mention). If you don't have a lid to your bucket, go to your LHBS and pick one up. It shouldn't be more than a few dollars. Otherwise you can get one online.

Great find, BTW. I wish someone had dumped a setup like that on me when I first got my Mr. B setup.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The extract is Black Rock, a New Zealand brand, and I've had some of my best brews using their hopped malt extract kits although, unless the ones you've inherited have been stored at a really constant temperature since before their expiry date, they'll probably make a beer that looks like a Guinness and tastes like dirt I'd still give them the benefit of the doubt, though. get some new, fresh yeast, some extra malt, around three pounds, open one of the cans and if it isn't pitch black, and doesn't smell hideous, make a batch with it. Actually, it doesn't look like the cans are bloated so there's a chance they might not be too bad. Never know unless you give it a go

welcome to your next addiction

Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I wouldn't sue the malt. Just not worth it to me but if you have nothing better to do.
Plus, in the last 10 years the quality of extract malt has greatly improved as has the hop character they malt with. You'd likely do better with taste as well as learning by going to a local brew store (if you have one) or online and reading up a bit about what's out there. You'll benefit greatly from just a little bit of research.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Ogri
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord View Post
I wouldn't sue the malt. Just not worth it to me but if you have nothing better to do.
Plus, in the last 10 years the quality of extract malt has greatly improved as has the hop character they malt with. You'd likely do better with taste as well as learning by going to a local brew store (if you have one) or online and reading up a bit about what's out there. You'll benefit greatly from just a little bit of research.

good to see you're not overly litigious
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2005 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

That's a bottle brush with a racking tube. On the bottom is an Italian spigot,I put one on my bottling bucket because it has a recess on the spout end that fits 3/8" tubing tightly. The next thing is a 3 piece airlock for the bucket lid. I say get some fresh yeast & try the cans. If for nothing else,to get some experience getting a good brewing process down cold.
S2005 Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Ogri
Recipes 

I'm blaming a double post on the iPad.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The malt extract is 100% a goner, no question. It was stale 15 years ago. But I'd keep the cans and display them with other beer stuff, that's kinda cool. Antique LME!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
S2005
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Wow thank you all so much for the posts!!!

I'll probably give the old malt a shot. What do I have to lose? If its nasty, I'll dump it, and still keep the cans for nostalgia.

Each of the cans have a very small packet of yeast in the lids... I'm guessing that is LONG gone? Where do I buy new yeast packets? I live in Alabama so there aren't any LHBS around.

Also, I do not have any lids for the buckets. Dad lost them over the years I guess, or they are just somewhere in his garage... (LOTS of stuff in there, not organized)

One more question I think. What is a good thermometer to buy? One that I could temp the beer, and the area I store the beer in? My home thermostat isn't' the most accurate thing in the world.

I've seen links to 3 or 4 online home brew supply sites, which one is the best? Could someone link them for me here?

Thanks again for all the responses guys! I'm going to start ordering some more goodies!

PS Was thinking about using one of these Black Rocks just for ****s and giggles, that or a batch of Apfelwein!

Quick Reply