orange peels in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctrunk129

Reaction score
I recently just boiled orange peels from 6 oranges in my wort for 1 hour. I tasted the wort once I placed it into the ice bath and it tasted very sweet and had a nice citrus taste to it, I was happy with the result. I did research after I brewed this batch because I never used orange in my brew before. Apparently You are only supposed to put the peels in during the last 10 minutes of the boil otherwise it becomes sour and bitter after fermentation. I am worried I ruined this batch by boiling the orange peels to long. has anyone ever added the orange peels during last hour of boil? and is 6 orange peels to many?

6 oranges are a bit much to me but it should still be fine, especially if it was pleasant when you tasted it. Did you remove the white fuzz off the peels? The white stuff is nasty.

Adding hops at 60 min improve bitterness, yes. Usually you add these kind of ingredients maximum when there is 15 min left to the boil. You will see by yourself if you want to throw it away or keep it when its done.

Also, it is kind of hard to know if the peel of 6 oranges is enough. Depends on the size of the batch and on the oranges! You have to talk in grams/oz/lbs if possible

I'm curious, you say "during the last hour of your boil...", how long exactly are you boiling this for? It depends greatly on the style of beer your brewing as well, post the recipe so we can give you some more insight my friend!

Just to give you an idea... Dried orange peel is about 1/4 of the weight of fresh or wet peel. As an example, 8oz of fresh peel would be approximately 2oz of dried peel. I have never put mine into my boil any sooner than 5 minutes left. I just did an American Amber/Red and added 8oz of fresh tangerine peel at the end of the boil. It has a very nice tangerine bitter (too bitter for what I was after, but at least identifiable as tangerine).

It was a 5 gallon batch. I also only boil for about an hour. I threw in about 3 orange peels right with the malt and then 3 more at the 30 minute mark. The only thing I think that might save this batch is the fact that I used 9lbs of light malt rather than the usual 6lbs. That might balance out the overwelming bitterness that I am trying to avoid. Also forgot to mention that Every peel had pith on it which is more bad news for my brew. At this point I feel like the worst that can happen is it has an extreme orange and tangy flavoring. I guess its not a bad thing, I will just have to drink it when I eat my eggs in the morning :D

Back