Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > options for making yeast starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Dave6187
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default options for making yeast starter?

well I don't have any DME lying around right now, and the only LME I have is the 6lb that i'm supposed to put in my recipie. my LHBS is closed for the week, and the next closest one is a little more than an hour away.... is there anything I can do to avoid driving all over the place tomorrow? I'd really like to not experiment with this too much, as it is my first beer. using wyeast 1056 propagator. I was planning on brewing tomorrow, and am going to still try to (at least get my starter going, I smacked my pack a little while ago too...)

I suppose I could use my LME to make the starter, just concerned messng up the OG and the flavor. I read somewhere that perhaps I could use plain malt ovaltine?

-Dave

Bucket:autumn amber ale
Carboy:
Bottled:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Monghetti
Recipes 

Maybe just borrow a bit from the six pounds you have for the recipe. It wont drop the gravity all that much....

Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

so it was an activator smack pack? in theory, you could just use the smack pack to ferment the 5 gallons and not worry about the starter, but i wouldn't be too concerned about using 100 grams or so of the LME if you do want to do a starter, that's like 1/4 of a pound, which wont affect your gravity all that much. what's your target gravity?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
Dave6187
Recipes 

it was the propagator pack, not the activator( with 25, not 200 billion cells) and both the package and this site recommend making a starter of some sort with it. mrmalty recommends a 1liter starter for 5 gal

lookin to get around 1.042-1.046

-Dave

Carboy:
Bottled:

Old 07-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave6187 View Post
it was the propagator pack, not the activator( with 25, not 200 billion cells) and both the package and this site recommend making a starter of some sort with it. mrmalty recommends a 1liter starter for 5 gal

lookin to get around 1.042-1.046
With the propagator pack, a starter is a necessity. Even Wyeast's website will tell you that. From Wyeast's site (Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Technical Information : Pitch Rates)

Propagator Pack:
The Wyeast Propagator (50 ml) should not be directly pitched into 5 gallons. This package is designed to be propagated in a starter culture before inoculating larger volumes of wort. A Propagator contains 30 billion cells. One propagator in ½ gallon starter will deliver 6 million cells per ml.

So, since even the company website tells you not to pitch directly, I'd make a starter. Starting tonight is kind of late, if you're planning on brewing tomorrow, though.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
Dave6187
Recipes 

i know, my problem is I have no DME. I'm probably just going to drive 3 hours tomorrow to go buy some just to avoid any headaches... maybe I'll pick up my next recipie kit or something

-Dave

Carboy:
Bottled:

Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

24 hours should be plenty long for a starter. You can pitch at high krausen. If you made say a 1 qt (1000 mL) starter with the LME, and then put it into the finished wort there would be almost no difference in the gravity. Heck you could even make your boil 1 qt shy if you like and your impact would be pretty much negligeable once you add in the starter that should be fermenting down from OG of about 1.040 or so anyway.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave6187 View Post
i know, my problem is I have no DME. I'm probably just going to drive 3 hours tomorrow to go buy some just to avoid any headaches... maybe I'll pick up my next recipie kit or something
No need to drive tomorrow. Just pull out some of your LME tonight and get that starter going. You want a gravity of 1.040-ish, which would be about 1.25 cups of LME in a quart of water.

I always keep a bag of DME handy, even though I haven't made an extract batch in several years. It's for starters. It's also handy, when you do a partial mash, to use to boost the gravity if you don't get very good efficiency from the grain. It will last a long time in your cupboard in a ziploc bag. so, buy it the next time you go to the LHBS and keep it on hand.

Now, go make that starter! And brew tomorrow night if you can.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're worried about the gravity drop from using some LME, just add a few ounces of table sugar at the end of the boil. Depending on the style it might be great. But I'm sure it will be great without it too.

Q: Why don't elephants like penguins?

A: They can't get the wrappers off.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #10
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was facing this same issue tonight. I decided, after a little bit of research, to use 2/3 cup LME (from my Kit) and mix it in about 500mL (pre-boiled) water once I got it to boiling. The issue I'm worried about is that I lost a lot of water to steam during the boil. I'm hoping if this causes problems, the worst thing that'll happen is a slightly slow lag time. Does anybody have any pointers? Can anyone help me calculate what the OG should've been from the mix?

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Quick Reply