The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Opinions on Mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
maxamuus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Opinions on Mead?

Ordered the NB catalog and was showing it too SWMBO and she saw the stuff on mead and thought it might be good to try. Never tried mead and i dont think i have ever even seen it in the Liquor store, but i live behind the Zion curtain so that isn't saying much.

What does mead taste like? I enjoy the "lighter" (wheat beers) to "Medium" beers (Ales) Enjoy wine as well, just not sure what mead is like at and just curious on fellow beer drinkers take on it.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
whatisitgoodfor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From everything I know it generally tastes like a dry white wine.

If you choose a variety of honey higher in maltose it will be more of an off-dry.

I'll know more in another 6 months or so when my first batch is ready.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamuus View Post
Ordered the NB catalog and was showing it too SWMBO and she saw the stuff on mead and thought it might be good to try. Never tried mead and i dont think i have ever even seen it in the Liquor store, but i live behind the Zion curtain so that isn't saying much.

What does mead taste like? I enjoy the "lighter" (wheat beers) to "Medium" beers (Ales) Enjoy wine as well, just not sure what mead is like at and just curious on fellow beer drinkers take on it.

Thanks
My friend made some a while back and it was OK. I certainly wouldn't put any effort into making it. Your best bet would be to go to your local specialty beer store and buy a bottle first.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's more like wine than beer. You can make it dry, medium sweet or sweet.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Its different, that's about the best way I can put it. Not bad, but I don't know that I'd want a full batch worth of it lying around. I definately recomend buying a bottle if you can and trying it first.

Quick Reply