Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Opinions on buying kits with work allready made in bag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
yankeefan1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Opinions on buying kits with work allready made in bag

Hi Im just starting out and im wondering about the kits with the wort allready made in the bag, just curious if these are any good and if anybody has experience with these? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Exactly what kind of kits are you talking about? We can answer your question better with a link. I have done kits containing all extract (both liquid and dry) and extract with steeping grains. If there is a kit that contains a full 5 gallons of wort ready to pitch I'm not familiar with it.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've seen the kits that come with the wort already done, and you just ferment it.

Look at it this way. Do you want to learn to make HOMEBREW, or are you interested in taking a few shortcuts to having some homebrew?

Do you want to learn to make HOMEMADE gourmet dinners from scratch, or do you want to put pre-made food in the microwave?

It's about the same thing. The real finesse/skill of homebrewing comes in creating the wort. Fermentation is the easy part.

Also, brewday where you create the wort is CERTAINLY the fun part! You'll be missing out on the fun part, and really only doing the tedious part.

So, if you want to actually learn to homebrew, skip the pre-made wort and look into extract kits. If you just want to make some homebrew the "microwave" way, no shame in fermenting some premade wort, you just aren't going to really learn much about making homebrew that way.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

not to say that it'll cost a bunch more than buying a kit where you have to put some of yourself into it.

Starting with an extract kit will give you a bunch more satisfaction than buying something that has had 90% done for you. Plus.. you get bragging rights..

Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I won't hate on the pre-made wort kits. You can get your feet wet with the fermentation and bottling process without much work or equipment invested.

But in the long haul, its not the true experience. Its more like heating up a can of Campbell's soup, vs. making gumbo from scratch...yeah the end result is still soup, but you'll be more proud of the gumbo.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
yankeefan1
Recipes 

Ya I think ill try the kit with the work allready made till I get use to it, then ill try making my own wort someday. Does anybody have any good links or recipies to do this?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
elreplica
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey there fellas

I have made beer and wine every which way and loose, from extracts and kits to grains and grapes. For the past decade on and off, I have been using all grain wort from brewhouse (rj spagnols) and festa (magnotta). In my opinion they are awesome and produce a product you would be proud of. The drinkability of these products is fantastic and compares favorably with any microbrewed product. I have bottle conditioned for years and recently built a kegerator and am enjoying it immensely. My first "hack" is coming with a festa wheat to which I am going to add one liter of fresh maple syrup to make a maple wheat beer. Looking forward!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Amity
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The wort-in-a-bag kits can be quite good if fermentation is done well. The Brewhouse Kits in particular are good, as are the Festabrew. You can also alter them by adding hops, changing the amount of water you add (to the Brewhouse kits), etc. Use a good yeast (Wyeast or White labs, or a good dried yeast).

I use them when I am low on beer, and don't have time to do an all-grain batch, or even a partial mash.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
elreplica
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM
I've seen the kits that come with the wort already done, and you just ferment it.

Look at it this way. Do you want to learn to make HOMEBREW, or are you interested in taking a few shortcuts to having some homebrew?

Do you want to learn to make HOMEMADE gourmet dinners from scratch, or do you want to put pre-made food in the microwave?

It's about the same thing. The real finesse/skill of homebrewing comes in creating the wort. Fermentation is the easy part.

Also, brewday where you create the wort is CERTAINLY the fun part! You'll be missing out on the fun part, and really only doing the tedious part.

So, if you want to actually learn to homebrew, skip the pre-made wort and look into extract kits. If you just want to make some homebrew the "microwave" way, no shame in fermenting some premade wort, you just aren't going to really learn much about making homebrew that way.
I certainly agree with making beer (and wine) from scratch from grain and grape. You learn a lot about the science, art and process along the way. But if you want to save some money and time or get your feet wet, these wort kits will steer you in the right direction. But you don't have to be a programmer or know DOS to use a computer anymore :-) Although I wished the hell I learned to type back in the day :0)

Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I agree that the pre-made wort is better than nothing, but TRUST ME, when you serve your buddies a beer you made from grain to glass, and they all like it, your pride and smile will be 1,000,000 times bigger than if someone else made the wort.

I'm just sayin! That's the intangible that is worth the larger investment into extract brewing for the OP!!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply