Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Opinions? Bottle now or age longer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
mullimat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Default Opinions? Bottle now or age longer?

I have a Rochefort 10 clone sitting in secondary now and it's been sitting there for a LONG time! I brewed this on March 1 and transferred to secondary on the 17th. It's been sitting in there ever since. Since i know this is a REALLY big beer, i waited a long time bulk aging it. So, should i let it sit a little longer or bottle it now and let it bottle age? BTW, abv is somewhere around 11%!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
solidghost
Recipes 

That's a very strong beer!
If you have the space, I think you can age it longer in the secondary carboy. I normally age it in the bottles because of space constrains and I need my fermenter for something else.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

let that thing sit longer. You'll thank yourself in the end. I plan on letting my quad sit in the secondary until I get back from my trip on June 1 and then maybe bottle it, only to let it sit in bottles until say December.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

How much longer do you think though? I have to move in august so i can't let it sit too long. It's already been in secondary for a little over 6 weeks and in primary for 2 1/2 weeks before that. I really could use the space but if needed i could bottle my apfelwein and use the fermenter (ale pail) as a secondary for my other beers that need to secondary i guess.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Bulk aging is better so put off bottling as long as you can.

If you're moving in August, you could plan on bottling the last week of May so you have one less thing to worry about at packing time.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 AM   #6
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

It already smells great and i can't help taking samples from it! Thankfully i topped off pretty good. Right now though the taste and smell kinda remind me more of St. Bernardus Abt. 12. The Rochefort smell is starting to come around but the taste seems to be taking longer. Hopefully it comes out with that unique taste in the end!

EDIT: Oh yeah. And i've already had a few scares with it too. The other day i found mold in the airlock just above the water line. Changed the water and cleaned the airlock real good but it came back two days later. Completely changed airlocks and haven't seen it since. Never saw mold on the beer thankfully.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullimat
It already smells great and i can't help taking samples from it! Thankfully i topped off pretty good. Right now though the taste and smell kinda remind me more of St. Bernardus Abt. 12. The Rochefort smell is starting to come around but the taste seems to be taking longer. Hopefully it comes out with that unique taste in the end!

EDIT: Oh yeah. And i've already had a few scares with it too. The other day i found mold in the airlock just above the water line. Changed the water and cleaned the airlock real good but it came back two days later. Completely changed airlocks and haven't seen it since. Never saw mold on the beer thankfully.
That in itself is a good reason to leave it in the secondary! If you bottle it you will be tempted to drink it before it is ready. If you are going to brew high gravity beers get some more carboys so you can bulk condition/age them for a long time.

GT

Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah and get some cheap vodka in that airlock, I guarantee mold will never grow in there again.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

If you have time, could you post the recipe?

Old 05-01-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

It's only an extract recipe because it was my second batch (doing PM now). The recipe is this though:

11 oz. Caramunich
1/4 lb. Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. Munich Malt
13.5 lb. Extra pale extract
1 lb. Dark Candi

60 mins.: 1 oz. Willamette
1.5 oz. Crystal

5 mins.: 1/4 oz. Willamette
1/2 oz. Crystal
Wyeast Belgian Abbey II 1762

Would like to try this recipe as PM but AHS doesn't offer this anymore. Any way someone could work it up to be a PM recipe?

Quick Reply