Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Opening carboy....worth the risk?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
JonBoy47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Opening carboy....worth the risk?

So I was just curious to find out everyones opinions on opening the carboy during fermentation. Im just really curious to find out what the temp inside the fermenter is. I am using a swamp cooler with the water level up to the level of the beer. I have seen many different opinions on the difference in temp from the beer and the swamp cooler water. I have seen people say anything from 1 degree to 10 degrees. I guess I just want to find out for myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

As long as you use good sanitation techniques, there should be no more risk than taking a sample for a gravity reading, that is little to none. IMHO

Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Is it a carboy or a fermentation bucket. To take the top off a carboy carries less risk than taking the top off a bucket. Either way you can do it. I would recommend getting a wine theif and taking a sample. You can then take the temperature, the gravity and best of all a taste.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
jsweet
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

+1 Doug. If you sanitize everything, the risk is pretty close to zero. You'll always have non-zero risk any time you open the fermenter, but as long as it's for a good cause -- e.g. taking a temperature reading -- it's fine.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I wouldn't worry about it BUT truly if you want to know the temp of the fermenter, then you can tape your temp probe to the class and after awhile it will give the the temp inside. Especially since it's in a swamp cooler, the glass and the beer are going to be the same temp if you are above the water line.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I like those stick on thermometers my self, I guess one of those would work too, above the waterline and below top of the beer.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
512chief
Recipes 

I'm with D0ug. I use the stick on thermometers and they do the trick.. Then you don't have to worry about sanitizing the thermometer or anything... Instant gratification.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
JonBoy47
Recipes 

Scut Monkey....It is in a carboy

Revvy.....Would it make a difference if I am using a plastic carboy?

I guess this brings up another question. Will it make a significant difference in cooling if I lower the water level to a couple inches below the beer level to accomodate a stick on thermometer? Im assuming they wont work or will be ruined if they are submerged.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I"ve read that stick on thermometers can be ruined if they are soaked in water.
I dont have it but I"m thinking to buy one of them soon.

Since I got my 1st batch fermenting (brewed 2 days ago) and I have read plenty "fermentation temperature" threads that say that temperature inside of carboy can be 5-10 degrees warmer than room temperature, I am trying to figure what temperature is in carboy.

I have digital thermometer like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Cooking-Food-Probe-Meat-Thermometer-Kitchen-BBQ-/180662083172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a104c 9e64

What is most accurate method to measure temp inside?
Maybe to fill some water around carboy and as Revvy said, to tape temp probe to the glass?
Anyone tried this method?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

If it's a glass carboy taking a sample with a wine theif is pretty straight forward. The small opening will help to limit how much dust with bacteria and mold can fall into the beer. Most brewers take sample during fermentation.

Stick on thermos will give you a rough estimate of the temperature. I never really trusted the accuracy and with a swamp cooler the water ruined one of mine. They work though and are a good solution.

Quick Reply