Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Opening the bucket during primary fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
thisgoestoeleven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Opening the bucket during primary fermentation?

I've got my second batch of beer in primary fermentation right now, and I want to take a gravity reading and also to taste it and see how it's coming along. Is it okay to open it during fermentation, or does it have to stay sealed until it's done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Olddog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's Ok to open. Just take care to keep everything as clean as possible.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
BrewBoy19
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Make sure to sanitize anything that will come into contact with your brew as well!!! I usually use a coffee mug that was soak in sanitizer (bleach water) for 30 min. it has a handle to keep hands out of contact with the beer. Or you could use a turkey baster. Otherwise, yeah its ok to do just don't do it too many times, risk contamination.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
dandw12786
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's fine. I use a sanitized turkey baster and put my sample right into the hydrometer sample tube. I usually do a FG 2-3 days before bottling and then again on bottling day to make sure it's done. Seal it back up and good to go! Just don't sneeze in it :-)

Disagreement Brewing

Primary: American Wheat

Conditioning: BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde

Ready to drink: Biscuits and Honey Amber Ale

Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

.why would you want to disturb fermentation? your exicted but you have a long way to a fininshed beer. Why?Curiosity could cause contamination, a risky choice out of impatinet curiosity. Let it do its thing and taste it at botteling. drink another homebrew or good craft brew,then drink yours when its finished.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
jhbarc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
such bad advice .why would you want to disturb fermentation? your exicted but you have a long way to a fininshed beer. Why?Curiosity could cause contamination, a risky choice out of impatinet curiosity. Let it do its thing and taste it at botteling. drink another homebrew or good craft brew,then drink yours when its finished.
How do you know it is finished with out taking a SG which requires opening the bucket.

"I tell ya. I like the sound of a BEER CHURCH" Red Forman That 70's Show

Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

3 weeks,no sooner.there is an army of people on this website that will back this.
Your post stated during fermentation, making it sound like your disrupting the middle of fermentation and if its before 1 week you are. after a week when it is likely finished you dont want to bottle yet so the yeast can clean up and condition.Its not finished when the gravity halts.Basically it has to ripen and round out and its going to do it faster in primary than a bottle.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
BeerBDrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
3 weeks,no sooner.there is an army of people on this website that will back this.
Your post stated during fermentation, making it sound like your disrupting the middle of fermentation and if its before 1 week you are.
Sorry, but what if you have a lager going and need to check the gravity to determine if it's ready for diacetyl rest? Can't do it without opening the fermentor. Also, and this is especially true during vigorous fermentation, there is a blanket of Co2 covering the beer as the yeast continually push it up and out.

The bottom line, and veterans feel free to correct me here, is it's Ok and even necessary at times to open the fermentor to take a SG reading, just be vigilant with your sanitary practices and you'll be fine. RDWHAHB!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Your post stated during fermentation, making it sound like your disrupting the middle of fermentation and if its before 1 week you are. after a week when it is likely finished you dont want to bottle yet so the yeast can clean up and condition.Its not finished when the gravity halts.Basically it has to ripen and round out and its going to do it faster in primary than a bottle.
The OP asked if it is safe to open the lid of the fermentor. The simple answer is it is perfectly safe as long as you sanitize anything touching the beer. That remains true even if the beer is still fermenting. You will do absolutely no harm to an actively fermenting beer if you sanitize and pull a sample. Whether you need to or not is not relevant to the question.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
jonmohno
Recipes 

its irrevelant to open it then. whether its relevant to the question or not.Its like opening up christmas gifts then rewrapping them and waiting till christmas to open them back up again.

Quick Reply