Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Open Fermenter to Air lock after 4 days? Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
cgherrington3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default Open Fermenter to Air lock after 4 days? Need Help

Hey Team,

My son and I brewed up a scotch ale 4 day ago. Put it in a 6.5 gal ale pale with a starter and it took off

Anyway, the Ale Pale is a POS and the lid doesn't seal. So I just been running open primary for a week and racking to a keg after a week on smaller beers,

This is my first big beer, so I want to leave in the cake longer.

Now that the majore explosive period is over. I want to get it under an airlock.

Long story short, here's my question:

Should I transfer it cake and all to the 5 gal air lock bucket?

Or Should I just rack it over like a secondary? And leave the cake behind.

I've got CO2 for the transfer.

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

WHat's the gravity? If it's attenuated, transfer as in to secondary, leave cake, all is well. If it's not at stable FG, I'd find a way to further seal it up as it is or transfer the whole thing, cake and all, to the other bucket.

When you say open primary, you mean wide open bucket or just that the lid doesn't seal well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Seanwallner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You need to check your finished gravity with a hydrometer. If its finished where you want it rack away. I stopped doing secondaries a year ago. I just leave it in the primary for 2 -3 weeks, but if your concerned with infection go ahead if youve reached final gravity. Ifnot you could transfer everything cake and all but you opening up alot of oppurtunity for infection IMO. If it were me Id just leave it alone for another 4 or 5 days. But thats me

PENITENT BREWING
STANWOOD,WA

" You have been drinking bad beer, Seek Penance"

Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 160

The lid not sealing is not really a problem. As long as the beer is covered it will be fine.

For this one, assuming it is a high gravity recipe, I would wait for final gravity and then rack to secondary leaving the cake behind and age it for a month and a half or 2 months.

Get a new lid, bucket or both. In the mean time a wrap of Saran Wrap around the lid might help the seal.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Does the lid on this bucket have an "O" ring seal? One of mine doesn't. I also have a Cooper's micro brew Fv. I took an exacto knife to both of them,triming off the molding flash that I found around the seal areas of the plastic FV's (around the rim &/or threads). They now seal way better & the airlock works.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
cgherrington3
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Open bucket with fine mesh stainless cover. (it's a Ikea grease screen for on top of a frying pan) sanitised.

I worked on that damn ale pale for 2 hours trying to get the lide to seal. It ain't going the happen the rim holding the lid goes like this \ / not like this / \ nothing for the rim to grab Epic POS

Sorry I'm not an gravity measuring kind of guy. I have on brand new in my brew box. Never used it. I know it's shamefull. I need to step up my science game when I go AG.

Actully I'm hoping it hasn't reached FG yet as I have decided to rack it over cake and all to a good sealable bucket and let 'er ride for a month or 2.

Should be good for Christmas. Yummy.

Thanks for the fast responses. Cheers!!!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
cgherrington3
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Update: Racked it to the 5 gal, found a dead bug in it. He was more drunk than I am now, which is saying a lot.

Nottingham is still working this beast. Even @ 4 days tastes great. Son says it tastes like a shot.

Thanks for all you help. Go team HBT.

Quick Reply