Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oops... I used Comet on my Aluminum brewpot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
UnderPressure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oops... I used Comet on my Aluminum brewpot

Yeah... I'm usually more cautious than this. I let my aluminum brewpot soak for an hour or two with hot water and Comet. You know Comet, it's that powdery cleaner that comes in the green canister. The one that says "Don't use on aluminum." Anyway, now I have these dark gray splotches on the inside surface of my brewpot. It doesn't look good. I guess I should have read the package beforehand. Should I use this as an excuse to buy a new brewpot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Sand it down to bare aluminum using progressively finer grits. Fill with water and boil for an hour. Next time use mild dishwashing liquid and a soft rag to clean it.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
WrongCoastBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
Yeah... I'm usually more cautious than this. I let my aluminum brewpot soak for an hour or two with hot water and Comet. You know Comet, it's that powdery cleaner that comes in the green canister. The one that says "Don't use on aluminum." Anyway, now I have these dark gray splotches on the inside surface of my brewpot. It doesn't look good. I guess I should have read the package beforehand. Should I use this as an excuse to buy a new brewpot?
Of course. I bought my brew kettle off of Amazon and got a SS one for cheap. In fact, both that I have bought have been from Amazon. My 9 gallon one (current) was $60 I believe and it is SS.

Quick Reply