Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oops! I forgot to sanitize the lid!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
hokenfloken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Oops! I forgot to sanitize the lid!

Howdy y'all. I brewed my second batch of beer two weekends ago. A porter. I thought I did everything just right until I realized I didn't sanitize my fermenter bucket lid. So...here's the question... Do I run the risk of contamination? The lid never touches the wort so it shouldn't matter, right? Am I completely wrong to think this? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
flaminpi3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have done the exact same thing and my brew turned out fine. As long as the bottom of your lid isn't covered in filth that could fall into your brew during fermentation, you're golden!

“For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
hokenfloken
Recipes 

In theory, wouldn't the CO2 kill any bacteria that may be on the lid?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

We've all done stuff like that on occassion...

Don't sweat it.

One thing a lot of us do is keep a spray bottle of sanitizer handy, usually our iodophor and starsan mixed with distilled water. Then we spray stuff like that.

You have a typical new brewer fear that your beer is somehow weak, like a new born baby..and will be ruined or die of you look at it wrong...I want to put it into perspective for you, and save you a lot of new bewer nerves...

Beer has been made for over 5,000 years in some horrific conditions, and still it managed to survive and be popular....It was even made before Louis Pasteur understood germ theory....

If beer turned out bad back then more than it turned out good..then beer would have gone the way of the dodo bird, New Coke, or Pepsi Clear...

It is very very very hard to ruin your beer....it surprises us and manages to survive despite what we do to it...

I want you to read these threads and see..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-...p-batch-96644/

And this thread to show you how often even a beer we thnk is ruined, ends up being the best beer you ever made, if you have patience....
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

There is a saying we have in the homebrewing community...RDWHAHB...make that your mantra and you will be a successful homebrewer...

Oh this thread is really good too...if you adopt the mindset in here you will do well...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/your...0b-when-24540/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

huckleberry Likes This 
Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My krausen hits the top of the bucket most of the time but I still wouldn't sweat the unsanitized lid..

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
hokenfloken
Recipes 

What about the concept of CO2 killing bacteria? Am I wrong to make this assumption? Can bacteria live without oxygen?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm pretty sure it can live w/o Oxygen. You could always take the lid off and sanatize it real fast and put it back on, but you probably are ok.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

generally, you want the environment to be sanitized enough so that your yeast can win any fight for dominance against any outside bacteria. Chances are if the lid wasn't sanitized, if anything touches the lid the yeast will have such numbers that they will muscle out any foreign bacteria.

You'll never kill everything such that there is no foreign bacteria present, you just want to rig the fight in favor of your yeast.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Once I thought the capper would make a good wedge to tip my fermenter so I could get every last drop of goodness into my bottling bucket. It slipped and fell directly into my nearly full bottling bucket. I never thought of sanitizing my capper. I went ahead and filled the bottles until I could get my capper with out reaching my hand into the beer. The beer was all good. RDWHAHB. It's not too late to sanitize it now. If something does go wrong at least you have a good idea why.

Quick Reply