The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oops I forgot to Sanitize...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
imprez25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Oops I forgot to Sanitize...

so, I was brewing last night and as i went to pour the yeast into a cup of water to rehydrate, I realized I forgot to sanitize the cup. Alas, it was too late, the yeast were then swimming in a cup of what I could only assume to be the most vial, disgusting, toxic soup on the face of the earth. (actually while the cup did come from my cupboard, it was only recently used for the same exact purpose. At that time it was washed and sanitized in my dishwasher, though that was several weeks ago).

What can I expect? Death in a bottle? Special off flavors that will create the best tasting beer in the world that will only be able to be recreated by following my proprietary lackluster sanitation procedures?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Very little chance that anything bad will happen. I predict that you will make beer and it will be fine.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At worst you'll get some soured beer....at best, you'll have a fine beer. I'd lean on the later if you sure the glass was a clean one from a cupboard. There might be some bacteria in there, but chances are they won't take over if you're making sure your yeast is strong and healthy. Now if that glass was all cruddy and really looked like a cesspool, then I'm sure you'd have some pretty vial beer on your hands

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

Now it's up to the beer gods... I agree, I think you'll be just fine. Next time don't push it!!! The gods only forgive you, but so many times...

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I had a brain fart during my last brewday, and accidentally mixed up 1/2 strength sanitizing solution. Everything used got 1/2 strength. I believe it is highly likely that there are billions upon billions of bacteria cells and swine flu viruses in there. Hardly any diseases were killed.

Hooray for beer resilience! As of bottling day , it tasted terrific. I never knew several pounds of diseased filth could taste so good!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The first beer I ever made I didn't sanitize a damn thing. It was as good of a brew as you could ask for.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The last beer I made, I forgot to sanitize my autosiphon before I transferred it to the bottling bucket. Came out just fine. I felt pretty stoooopid though.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

*slaps forehead* OOPS, i've forgotten to sanitze the cup I rehydrate my yeast in for the last 15 batches or so...(meaning i never do)

Granted it's a good process if you think of it, but not doing it won't automatically gaurentee that you ruined you beer.

Your beer is actually much stronger than even most of our screwups....In fact take a read of this thread, it will give you an idea......not sanitizing your cup is the LEAST of the things people have managed to do, and yet, not screwed up their beer.

Relax and read this. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
imprez25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys, I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, I now have bigger issues. No signs of fermentation after two days! Signal the "give it time responses"! WoooOO OOOoooOO WOOOOOOoooo

No seriously. No sign at all. Gravity is the same at 46 hours. I only checked because there has been no sign of activity in the airlock, and there is no sign of bubbles in the beer. What are my options? Oh, this is my third batch (first was a Brewers Best American Style Pale Ale, and the other was a free Hefe kit from Craigslist) both turned out great!

Brewer's Best California Style Imperial Pale Ale
INGREDIENTS (INCLUDED):
6.6 lbs. Plain Amber Malt Extract added at 15 min
2 lbs. Plain Amber Dry Malt Extract added at 60 min
1 lb. Crushed Crystal Malt 120L 6.5
2 oz. Columbus Hops (Bittering) Added at 55min
1 oz. Columbus Hops (Finishing) added at 15 min
1 oz. Columbus Hops (Aroma) added 1/2 at 5min and 1/2 at 2 min

1 each Beer Yeast (dry Nottingham yeast)

OG 1.070 (recipe said it should be between 1.050-1.060 )
Boiled 3 gallons
pitched at 82 degrees

Last edited by imprez25; 06-16-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #10
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Relax, drink aa beer, have sex with the wife and if that dont ease your mind..... Well frankely this isnt the hobby for you... orrrr You need a new wife!

You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle dixie?

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Quick Reply