Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ooopss! Anise, doh!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
wgonfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ooopss! Anise, doh!

I bottled a Farmhouse/saison a few weeks back that tasted a lot like tank 7 at bottling time. I do not like tank 7 so I decided to add some vanilla flavor to the bottling bucket to hopefully distract from whatever it is in tank 7 that I don't like. Well, I didn't realize that we had a bottle of pure anise extract in the cabinet & I grabbed that, poured it in & then realized it was anise & not vanilla when the smell punched me in my nose. The beer is drinkable, but is way heavy on the licorice/anise aroma & flavor. Oh, and it still taste too much like tank 7. I'll drink this beer, but I wont be happy about it! ha.

Any one have experience with anise and have any idea how long it may take for that to fade, if it even will?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

If its so strong now and because it's extract, I doubt it will fade much. Judging from the potency of extracts in general.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 399 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 105

You don't like Tank 7? Love that beer, it's everything I want in a nice saison. Curious what it was you find in Tank 7 that you don't like (but you apparently still like saisons); too funky?

It general, it's real hard to "hide" a flavor you don't like by covering it up with something else. And to me, at least, adding vanilla to a saison-based recipe... I probably would have tried dry-hopping, first.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
wgonfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
You don't like Tank 7? Love that beer, it's everything I want in a nice saison. Curious what it was you find in Tank 7 that you don't like (but you apparently still like saisons); too funky?
I really don't know what it is that I didn't like about tank 7, I have one left that I'll drink on tonight & try to pick out what it is that is turning me off. I think there is a chance that I had a bad or contaminated batch. The bottles where within their "best by" date, but had lots of floaties that didn't settle out well and were fluffy and clumped up more than most bottle yeast. I drink plenty of "bottle conditioned" beers so I know what to expect there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
It general, it's real hard to "hide" a flavor you don't like by covering it up with something else. And to me, at least, adding vanilla to a saison-based recipe... I probably would have tried dry-hopping, first.
Too many homebrews before bottling.

Quick Reply