Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Only Ya'all will understand this...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
TW1Kell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Only Ya'all will understand this...

...but I feel strangely complete...

I just tossed yeast on a Cooper's Irish Stout pkg, in my new second brew vat (# Two-I know, an ominous name). The original (now named # One) being reserved for the next starter kit of Cooper's Lager (light ale, as ya'all pointed out to me). As my original brew is now in week 2 after bottling and Cooper's is out of bottles (giving me the excuse to purchase their kit at a reduced price plus a 10% off coupon), I'll wait another week to start #One. I figure to drink at week 3, and take maybe a week drinking it, to clear my bottles for # One's next run.

I understand why Cooper's makes the vats clear, now: so "we" can watch as our precious' do their thing. Suddenly, I realized that I had been standing and watching (with a beer in hand) for about 10 minutes, after I set the Kraussen and lid, waiting to see my lil yeasties start to chew. (I imagine that septic tank enzyme commercial...I see lil "almost Pac-Man-like" enzymes munching on my precious ingredients striving to give me a beautiful stout)

What more could a man ask for? Ya'all know that I'll be asking a gazillion questions before this is through, so I thought I'd warn ya'all and share my happy and content state-of-mind. I reckon this post wil probably make ya'all think of that happy, warm feeling that ya'all get when ya'all toss yeast. At least, I hope so...

The Fox

I plan to slide in sideways, all scarred-up, fall off of my old Shovelhead 74 or Flathead 45 and holler, "Woo-hoo! Thanks for the ride!"

Cooper's Lawnmower Lager: Mixed 4 Feb
Cooper's Irish Stout: Bottled 5 Feb
Coopers' Lawnmower Lager: Bottled 15 Jan (only a few left)

Reason: Ya'all will find that I'm typo anal!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome!!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2210 Times on 1926 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Keep the fermenter in a dark place,or cover it with a dark tee shirt to keep the light off it. Don't wanna skunk that brew. I'm sure I forgot to mention that in your other posts.
But it's always a good feeling when you got the brew done right,& pitch the yeast on your latest creation. Dang,getin flashbacks to young frankenstien...

Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My first kit and ingredients should be on my doorstep when I arrive home today. I'm sure I will be just as entranced as you are. Loving your hobby is a good thing.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Maybe this is blasphemous, but I have never stood there watching my beer ferment. I always use opaque fermenters. I have seen other people's carboys actively fermenting, but never my own beer. I just have to be satisfied by airlock activity.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Maybe this is blasphemous, but I have never stood there watching my beer ferment. I always use opaque fermenters. I have seen other people's carboys actively fermenting, but never my own beer. I just have to be satisfied by airlock activity.
I bought glass carboys with my first kit, mainly so I could watch the fermentation. Stuff like that just facinates me.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
BrewJay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy
Ditto. I wrap my Carboy with a towel and a navy snuggie, since I don't use the damn thing. Keeps light out, and the temp steady. I never see the yeast at work. I have to settle for air lock bubbles, and thats good enough for me.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”
-Frank Sinatra

Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
TW1Kell
Recipes 

Oh, I should add that I moved my 2 vats to an upstairs bedroom vacated by my eldest son, oh...10 years back. It has a dark shade over the window, now, and I have a small space heater to keep my temp more along the proper lines. With ya'all's help, we're gettin' smarter about this! Thank you!

The Fox

I plan to slide in sideways, all scarred-up, fall off of my old Shovelhead 74 or Flathead 45 and holler, "Woo-hoo! Thanks for the ride!"

Old 01-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
TW1Kell
Recipes 

HEHE My FV stayed within the proper temp range, this time, and Kraussen (a good 6 inch foam at peak) fell late on day 2. I removed the collar, this morning (Day 3) and it smells like I have Stout! Smells just like a good Murphy's! (or Guinness, if you perfer) I can't wait to see what my FG is, and bottle. This is a hoot! Tomorrow, I get to sample a 2 weeks in the bottle light ale from my 1st brew. Fellas, I'm hooked already! Brew 3 (the starter kit of lager/light ale from buying the new kit) starts up, sometime, this next week. 30 bottles at a time...I'm trying to hit it so that I never run out of beer! hehehe!

The Fox

Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2210 Times on 1926 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Yup,it's always good to keep the pipelind full! We'll probably have more of our ales again tonight. My APA is slowly working it's way down to FG at the moment. Excited about this one with the rich hop smells coming out of the airlock. That Ahtanum & Sterling smells darn good!

Quick Reply