New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Online Brew kit providers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
Treshombres
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Online Brew kit providers

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the online brew kit ordering companies. Weve used Northern Brewer a few times and are impressed with the kits, not so much the documentation (dont really undertand their steeping instructions, steep for 20 minutes or until it reaches 172 degrees? ) But we are always looking to improve our act here and know the kit or supplies have to be spot on also. Anyone else have any favorites?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

order your ingedients from whoever gives you the lowest price, take your instructions from www.homebrewtalk.com

Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Barley is pretty much barley. What you want to do is buy/ order from a busy shop so you get fresh stuff. Freshness matters, even on a really big beer you plan to cellar for a year.

While you are fooling with steeping is a great time to learn to run a partial mash. Instead of wondering about 172°F, try to hold your steeping grains at 155°F for an hour.

It won't make any difference at all right now, your steeped grain beer will be the same; but once you can do it, "steep" all your specialty grains with a pound or so of basic USA 2 row pale malt and see if your finished beer doesn't get you favors of the Biblical kind.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Both NB and Midwest sell good kits, and a lot of folks here like Austin Homebrew Supplies (AHS). My only problem with the Midwest kits is that they add priming sugar, which I don't need (I keg). The AHS website gives you a ton of flexibility when ordering kits, but I like the user feedback/ratings that the NB and Midwest sites provide. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three.

NB's steeping instructions basically tell you to stick 2.5 gallons of cold water on the stove, turn on the heat, and drop in the grains to steep until the water gets to 170. I prefer to heat my water to about 160, then drop in the grain bag and let it steep at that temp for 30 minutes. You can save time by doing the steeping in 1 gal of water while the other 1.5 gallons are being heated to boiling in your main brew pot.

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Old 03-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I prefer Northern Brewer because they put together their own kits, and I think it's their own recipes. I really enjoyed all of the kits I have gotten from them. I have brewed a couple of the "mass produced" kits like Brewers Best and True Brew. I wasn't really impressed with either one. You should consider Austin Homebrew.. Very close to you and they have an awesome reputation around here. I haven't done any of their kits, but their reputation says it all.

NB's instructions for steeping grains means: Either steep in ~150 degree water for 20 minutes, or you can just throw them then the water and let them sit until your water heats up to 170. I think the end result of steeping is always the same, as long as you don't get too hot.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
RedGlass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpro View Post
order your ingedients from whoever gives you the lowest price, take your instructions from www.homebrewtalk.com
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Treshombres
Recipes 

Default Great advice

Thanks for all the feed back, really helps us novices!!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just ordered an ingredient kit from Austin Homebrew. I really like their website and ordering options. They have tons of ingredient kits that will probably keep my lazy a** from ever venturing into recipe creation. I would definitely reccomend them, especially to someone in TX.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
D_Struct
Recipes 

I couldn't be happier with my experiences with Austin Homebrew. Quick to fill orders, excellent customer service and the $7.99 flat-rate shipping is great.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you have a local homebrew supply store in your area? Mine makes their own kits (also ships them) and I like supporting a local business whenever I can. I don't mind paying a little more to keep them in business.

Quick Reply