Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OneStep No Rinse Cleanser and Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
zythe84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default OneStep No Rinse Cleanser and Yeast

Tonight was the first time that I have cold pitched the yeast. After I poured the yeast into the 1/3 cup of cooled boiled water (as directed), I cleaned the end of a spoon with OneStep Cleanser and began stirring. Seconds later I realized that this may have been a mistake. My concern is that since the OneStep cleanser kills bacteria, that it will have killed my yeast. Only a few drops would have gotten in there, but maybe that is all it takes. Do you think this is a problem? Is there anything that I can do to save this batch of brew?

Also along these lines, is it important to allow the slight wetness of the Cleanser to dry before they come in contact with your brew? For example, I have been cleansing my primary almost immmediately before adding the cooled wort, (even though the primary bucket is still a little damp with cleanser). I also to the same with the stirring spoon before I stir the cooled wort (dip it into cleanser, shake it off, then stir).

I am still new to this and just want to know if this is going to be detrimental to my brew...

Please help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
Chillibeerman
Recipes 

No Worries. I use OneStep religiously. I hear that there are much better cleansers out there, but I have never had a single problem so I never tried any others. I am not that meticulous when it comes to drying off spoons, bottles, and tubing but I always soak them prior to using. Most of the time my equipment is still wet when I use it. I think you will be fine. You just made beer.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yep, that is what it is made for. No problem. It is actually better to use the stuff wet cuz if you let it dry then microbes can come to rest on it.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mind of the spore forming bacteria. Fire gets rid of them.

Quick Reply