One week in the bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsruther

Reaction score
The wife and I bottled our first batch a week ago (2nd and 3rd still fermenting). It's a partial mash cream ale from our LHBS. When we bottled it, we tasted it and while it resembled beer, it tasted like crap. The wife lost all confidence that it would ever taste good even though I kept telling her it was going to be all right. Tonight I chilled one to sample it and see if it changed. When I popped the top, there was no ffft sound but, when I poured it there was a decent head. We both were impressed when we tasted it. While it still tasted slightly green, it was still pretty good and had decent carbonation. It's a 16 IBU recipe though and although it doesn't taste overly bitter, It has a very hoppy presence. Will this hoppiness diminish over time and mellow out?

Our second batch is a Kolsch and even though it doesn't use a Kolsch yeast, I'm really looking forward to tasting it, since the recipe is a little heavier on ingredients and doesn't use corn suger. Third is an Amber Ale.

Given a long enough timeline, hoppyness does tend to get subdued a bit. With a 16 IBU beer, I don't see that dropping much from there though.

Give it a few more weeks (as it seems you're planning) and then enjoy the heck out of that beer! :mug:

Most of my beers have tasted nasty even after a month in the bottle, but give it time and you'll be surprised at what age can do. I remember I was all excited about my first christmas ale, when I opened it after 2 months in the bottle, it tasted like someone dumped a whole cup of Equal (sweetener) in each bottle, it was disgusting. Now after 6 months in the bottle it is extremely good!

I would suggest tasting a bottle every two weeks. Until you're satisfied.

More time will likely add carbonation. Also it will reduce hop presence, especially if you dry hopped.

Just to add a final thought, be sure that after you've waited 3+ weeks to allow the beer to properly carbonate and bottle condition, you allow it 48 hours in the fridge before you drink it. Trust me, it will help greatly.

We drank another one tonight, couldn't help ourselves.
Kind of cloudy but, smells and tastes good.
246vr4m.jpg

Back