Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > one of those "Oops" moments.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
AdamPag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default one of those "Oops" moments.

So I brewed up a Dunkle on saturday and everything was going awesome more or less, recipe was 60 minute boil 6lbs bavarian wheat DME, 8oz Caramunich 4oz Chocolate Malt, 4oz Carafa Special II, 1oz Perle at 15 mins, Safbrew T-58

I steeped the grains at 155* for about 30 mins, sparged into 175*, brought the kettle up to 3gal and went into my boil for 60 mins, cooled to 78*, poured onto 1 gal of 58* water, and topped off to 5.25 gals with 58* water to have a final wort temperature of 64*, Everything went perfectly as usual.

The recipe called for an OG of .050-.052 MY OG was .06, which is a BIT high, any idea why?

2nd thing (which is the "Oh $h*t moment) when I was putting my airlock on the bucket it pushed the rubber grommet through into the wort. SO naturally I ripped my shirt off like god damn hulk hogan and reached on in there to fish it out and get that air lock in. My lag time was appox 12 hours with an ambient temperature of 63*. When I went to the basement to go take a peak this morning it was bubbling away, but the basement had this whacky smell from the fermentation that i've never had before. Should I be worried about a possible contamination? Or is that totally normal? Ive never used T-58 so idk what to expect from this yeast.

Please share (if you have any) your rediculous beer smells.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My guess is that with that big of a beer going strong, you're going to get some aromas. Let the yeast do it's job, leave her alone, and I'm betting all will be well. Just remember, those smells are coming OUT of your beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

Are you going to call this hulk hogan mustache brew? Next time you go out to the LHBW, grab an extra fermenter lid so you'll have a spare grommet. Most likely you are noticing " funky" smells that were always there because of your accident. If I *had* to reach into my fermenter, I'd probably spray my arm with starsan first. Just hope it isn't REALLY great, because then you're going to have to recreate your accident

Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yo if thats the case, im gonna take a bath in that **** next time while wearing my hulk-a-mania tee shirt from 1986.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPag View Post
Yo if thats the case, im gonna take a bath in that **** next time while wearing my hulk-a-mania tee shirt from 1986.

A visual I did NOT need...

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I wouldn't consider T-58 a "dunkel" yeast. Maybe I am thinking of a different one, I thought that S-33 was the wheat yeast, and T-58 has more of a Belgian character.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ill take pictures too, that'll be the label for the beer, Me. pouring a hot dunkel all over myself in a hulkster Tee while blasting Real American as loud as I can

Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPag View Post
Ill take pictures too, that'll be the label for the beer, Me. pouring a hot dunkel all over myself in a hulkster Tee while blasting Real American as loud as I can
For the love of beer, though...censor the junk!

Quote:

Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

umm, you're backwards, im ABOUT to brew a belgian pale tonite and that one uses S-33

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Btw.... I will certainly not censor my self... Im Not SOPA

Quick Reply