The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > One thing you'd tell a NEWB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

RDWHAHB or RDWHACB

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Bacchus
Recipes 

Brewing beer is not as complicated as the internet would have you believe. Facts and people's opinions sometimes get confused, one for the other. Follow basic santitation rules, basic temp control rules, relax and be patient. You'll be drinking a fine beer created in your own kitchen in no time at all.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #13
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Karate kid didn't bust out the crane kick on day 1. Be patient. Be patient and mehodical when you are going through every step in the process. Be patient before drinking the beer after you bottle it (its super hard at first because you are soo excited). Take your time. You'll do great.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 AM   #14
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If sanitizing with StarSan, don't worry about the bubbles. It becomes yeast food. Do not rinse StarSan off. If you do, you have just negated the sanitizer.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you are making from scratch (IE not from kits) whether it be extract or AG, try a good simple recipe first. I might catch flak for this, but I tried to be all 'creative' and junk, and I ended up tossing (cringe) a few batches. Not that I did not learn, I certainly did. However, I feel that had I first done a few tried and true recipes, I might have been able to understand concepts like "base malts vs specialty malts", and the all important concept of "moderation". I think one of my first batches was 6 pounds of LME, 4 pounds of DME, a pound each of molasses, brown sugar, and honey. I boiled it for 15 minutes and added 2 ounces of Northern Brewer Hops. I ended up with beerish flavoured pop syrup. It still tasted like regurgitated slurpee after 3 months on the bottle.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #16
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
If sanitizing with StarSan, don't worry about the bubbles. It becomes yeast food. Do not rinse StarSan off. If you do, you have just negated the sanitizer.
Are you saying sanitizing and rinsing is the same as not sanitizing at all? I'm not sure I buy that.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #17
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you can wash dishes and follow a recipe, you can brew awesome beer. Cleaning and sanitizing well will almost ensure that you brew a decent beer.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Are you saying sanitizing and rinsing is the same as not sanitizing at all? I'm not sure I buy that.
The owner/spokesperson for StarSan was interviewed by James Spenser on Basic Brewing Radio Podcast, and those were pretty much his words. Listen to it. I sanitize my carboy and hold it upside down to drain it. You will have a lot of bubbles in it, so I cover it with foil for 5-10 minutes, and let the bubbles subside. Then, I pour the rest out out. Anything that is left in there goes into the beer. I'm on my 13th batch, and I have not had an off-flavor of any kind. When I heard the bubbles were a non-issue, I just decided to relax, don't worry...

Old 03-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #19
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
The water you rinse with has more potential to introduce bacteria than the Starsan. That's why you boil water before using for priming or a starter.

I know we all drink water from the tap... but personally, I would not likely bottle it from the tap, let it set at room temp for three months then drink it.

I agree it is best not to rinse Starsan.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #20
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
I'm on my 13th batch, and I have not had an off-flavor of any kind.
Sometimes I rinse sometimes I don't. So far, so good after about 20-25 batches. Just wondering what the likelihood is that a batch will get infected from whatever bacteria is in clean water. Lots of people would make a Brewhouse or Festa Brew kit from spring, filtered or even plain tap water without boiling.

I guess in the end we all find a level of sanitation that suits us and stick with it. But I don't think it's true that rinsing Starsan with clean water = not sanitizing.

Quick Reply