1. Sanitation is critical. Keep your equipment clean and sanitized.
1. Fermentation temperature is more important than most people realize when they start.
1. Make a starter if you are using liquid yeast.
1. "Hydrometer" is not spelled A-I-R-L-O-C-K
1. Give your beer time. Time in the primary, time in the secondary (if you use one), and especially time in the bottle to carb up (as Revvy tells us--three weeks at 70 at a MINIMUM). Then more time to hit its peak after it's carbed up.
That's the one thing I would tell a noob.