Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > one packet of yeast enough?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
briguy13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I will be brewing Brewers Best American cream ale. I will not be using the yeast packet that came with the kit, I have a smack pack of yeast. Will this be enough yeast for this brew? My last batch was the Belgian triple, my local home brew store failed to tell me that I need two packets of yeast for such a high gravity beer. I just don't want to make the same mistake twice. I know that the American cream ale is a lower gravity beer then the Belgian triple, but just making sure!
I will also be adding the LME later in the boil so that I do not brown the wort and get a darker beer. I want it straw colored. I have posted previous questions about these subjects (dark beer) and received great responses about them.
Just wanna make sure I'm adding. the correct amount of yeast!

__________________
briguy13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Brewtah
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewtah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 588
Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

What is the expected OG?

__________________
I don't want stressed yeast, so I medicate them
Brewtah is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
briguy13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

OG: 1.049-1.053
FG: 1.010-1.014
Adding wyeast 1056

__________________
briguy13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Brewtah
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewtah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 588
Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy13 View Post
OG: 1.049-1.053
FG: 1.010-1.014
Adding wyeast 1056
A yeast calculator will say you need 2 packs (100 billion per pack). You could make a starter, buy 2 packs or use 1 pkg. Dry yeast. US-05 is the Chico strain too, just dry.
__________________
I don't want stressed yeast, so I medicate them
Brewtah is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
briguy13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Sounds good. I'll get another pack of the wyeast. Brewing next weekend. Thanks for great advice.

__________________
briguy13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,364
Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtah

A yeast calculator will say you need 2 packs (100 billion per pack). You could make a starter, buy 2 packs or use 1 pkg. Dry yeast. US-05 is the Chico strain too, just dry.
Yes I'd pitch one dry packet of US05 (rehydrated). It is the same as WL 001/ WY 1056 but half the price. You get a lot more yeast in dry packets. And don't need to make a starter.

Anyways, presuming you already made the purchase, make a starter to increase liquid yeast cells. Or buy two.
Or skip this step and presuming your smack pack is super fresh, you can direct pitch as the OG is not high. It will still make beer but is not the best practice. It may take a while to show visible fermentation so don't start a thread freaking out that there is no airlock activity.
good luck!
__________________
midfielder5 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
briguy13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicago, Illinois
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Ha! I'm passed the freaking out stage. It's been drilled into my brain :
airlock activity means nothing! Take those readings!

__________________
briguy13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Setesh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,290
Liked 253 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default

Just FYI, here is a yeast pitching calculator if you are interested:

http://www.mrmalty.com/

__________________
Setesh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 6,635
Liked 746 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy13 View Post
I will be brewing Brewers Best American cream ale. I will not be using the yeast packet that came with the kit, I have a smack pack of yeast. Will this be enough yeast for this brew? My last batch was the Belgian triple, my local home brew store failed to tell me that I need two packets of yeast for such a high gravity beer. I just don't want to make the same mistake twice. I know that the American cream ale is a lower gravity beer then the Belgian triple, but just making sure!
I will also be adding the LME later in the boil so that I do not brown the wort and get a darker beer. I want it straw colored. I have posted previous questions about these subjects (dark beer) and received great responses about them.
Just wanna make sure I'm adding. the correct amount of yeast!
If you question is "will this much of this kind of yeast ferment my beer to completion?" the answer is yes. The manufacturers say so.

If your question is "will this much of this kind of yeast make the best beer possible?" the answer is probably not.
__________________
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Old Yeast Packet.... saeroner Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 08-27-2013 02:11 PM
Packet of dry yeast ok to use? ballsy Fermentation & Yeast 12 08-14-2013 07:53 PM
Can i use 1/2 packet of yeast ?? twintrades Wine Making Forum 6 02-29-2012 07:08 PM
one yeast packet or two? larrychris109 General Beer Discussion 4 11-05-2011 07:28 PM
one yeast packet or two? larrychris109 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 11-05-2011 04:23 PM